Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
gordon_sorensen  
#1 Posted : Thursday, June 10, 2010 11:52:54 AM(UTC)
gordon_sorensen

Groups: Registered

Discovered oil leaking out from under our top load Whirlpool. Perfect timing as always -- daughter just home from college with a ton of clothes that need to be washed. Machine working fine...so far. I called W'pool customer service, who directed me to someone they sub out their service. That place suggested it is a gear case of transmission. Checking on the parts portion of this site, there are many things it could be. I am hoping it might be just the oil seals, about $7 part.

Anyone seen or had this problem, or know where I might start trouble shooting?

thanks.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

richappy  
#2 Posted : Thursday, June 10, 2010 2:13:53 PM(UTC)
richappy

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
If the transmission is leaking a lot of oil, you probably need a new transmission AP3096209
gordon_sorensen  
#3 Posted : Thursday, June 10, 2010 2:23:27 PM(UTC)
gordon_sorensen

Originally Posted by: richappy Go to Quoted Post
If the transmission is leaking a lot of oil, you probably need a new transmission AP3096209

So several basic questions:
1. The transmission is in the gear case, right? Then I really just need to buy the whole gear case/transmission assembly? I think the price on that is about $155 - 160. Might as well just find a decent used washer for less.

2. How would I tell if it is coming from the transmission? Is that the only place that has oil? Where is the oil stored? If I do repair, what kind of oil to I replace with?

3. What is best way to find out if it isn't some small, inexpensive part, like the oil seals, that are the issue?

thanks.
richappy  
#4 Posted : Friday, June 11, 2010 2:57:25 AM(UTC)
richappy

You need to pull the outer cover off the washer and check the source of the oil leak. You can go to web site www.applianceaid.com for info on this direct drive washer.
ken.reimer  
#5 Posted : Friday, June 18, 2010 3:23:11 PM(UTC)
ken.reimer

There Is A Seal And Hub Kit Which Can Be Installed. It Is Located Under The Ajitator. I Am Working On An Amano Speed Queen Washing Machine Top Loader. I Replaced This Seal Twice, Each Time It Worked Fine For A Few Loads Before Leaking Out Transmission Oil Into The Wash. I Have Been Advised That It Is A Faulty Transmission. Somehow Excessive Pressure Is Building Up Inside The Transmission And Forcing The Oil To Move Upward (against Gravity!) And Past The Seal (which Is Designed To Keep Water From The Washing Tub Out Of The Transmission). The Seal Is Not Designed To Keep Oil From Passing Up & Out Of The Transmission, Since Gravity Should Do Its Job And Keep The Oil Down Below That Seal. Removal And Dismantling Of The Transmission Is An Extensive Job. No Service Repair Man Can Justify The Time And Expense To Do All This Work, Tho A Do-it-yourself Guy Might Rise To The Challenge. Could It Be That Water Has Escaped Past The Seal And Raised The Fluid (now Oil & Water) Level And Forcing Oil Up (which Floats Since It Is Heavier Than Water) Past The Seal? I Think I Have Just Answered My Own Question. I Guess I Need To Disassemble The Transmission And Clean It Out And Put In Fresh Trans Oil. And If I See Water (oil & Water Mixed Will Be Milky Colored) Than Perhaps I Have Solved The Problem! ;-) Any Comments?
gordon_sorensen  
#6 Posted : Friday, June 18, 2010 3:29:45 PM(UTC)
gordon_sorensen

Was told by a repair guy that is generous with his advice to DIYs to just put cardboard under it, that it should probably go several more years, then it will finally just die. He figures (as do I) that I have gotten my money's worth (it's about 15 years old). And since it could be several things (transmission, oil seal, gear case), replacing the one thing (gear case) that would solve it all is about $160 for parts. For that cost, plus my effort of doing it, just get a good used one off craigslist.
richappy  
#7 Posted : Saturday, June 19, 2010 12:42:08 AM(UTC)
richappy

Reimer is way off base here, you have a direct drive washer, not an Amana that will dump oil on your clothes. This one will just dump oil on the floor. If a lot of oil is coming out, you have a serious tranny problem that will last maybe a week or two till the tranny runs out of oil and locks up causing the motor to fail.
ken.reimer  
#8 Posted : Sunday, July 4, 2010 8:55:42 PM(UTC)
ken.reimer

We Are Probably Not Talking About The Same Machine. I Am Talking About A Hd Speed Queen. Oil Is Not Leaking On Th Eoutside Of The Transmission But Out Of The Top Into Thewash Tub Underneath The Agitator.
richappy  
#9 Posted : Monday, July 5, 2010 3:00:58 AM(UTC)
richappy

For Ken.Reamer. Repost your problem with the model #, you are just confusing us here
gordon_sorensen  
#10 Posted : Monday, July 5, 2010 6:50:50 AM(UTC)
gordon_sorensen

The model number and problem is in my original post.

Model Number: LA8800XTW0 Brand: Whirlpool Age: More than 10 years

Discovered oil leaking out from under our top load Whirlpool. Perfect timing as always -- daughter just home from college with a ton of clothes that need to be washed. Machine working fine...so far. I called W'pool customer service, who directed me to someone they sub out their service. That place suggested it is a gear case of transmission. Checking on the parts portion of this site, there are many things it could be. I am hoping it might be just the oil seals, about $7 part.

Anyone seen or had this problem, or know where I might start trouble shooting?
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply