Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
AllenS  
#1 Posted : Friday, June 13, 2008 6:08:54 AM(UTC)
AllenS

Groups: Registered

I have a KitchenAid Compactor model KCS-100 - installed in 1976. It has worked great until it jammed last week. Unit didn't complete cycle and door will not open. Unit is built in to kitchen counter/cabinet. Problem - kitchen was remodelled a few years ago and new floor does not allow compactor to be slid out. Is there any way to disengage drive mechanism to unjam the mechanism - without sliding unit out from cabinet? It seems that the only "viable" option may be to attempt to demolish unit with a reciprocating saw (or some such device) and remove it piece by piece and then replace with a new unit.

Any advice would be most appreciated (including, if necessary, the best for to remove the unit piece by piece).

Thanks!

Allen
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Gene  
#2 Posted : Friday, June 13, 2008 6:06:12 PM(UTC)
Gene

Groups: Senior Expert, Administrators

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Hi Allen,

Unfortunately there is no way to diagnose and/or fix it without removing the unit from the cabinet. I'm afraid you have to do something with the floor, because even you'll break the old one in pieces, you still could not install a new one.

Gene.
AllenS  
#3 Posted : Saturday, June 14, 2008 5:01:28 AM(UTC)
AllenS

Gene -

Thanks for feedback! I have considered removing part of floor but fear that current "old" unit probably has limited life left so will have same problem again if I need to replace unit. So...I will probably remove old machine, piece at a time, and replace with a new machine that isn't quite so tall (I see that Broan has a low profile model - #1055 - that is only 30 3/4 inches high).

Allen
fancyynancyy  
#4 Posted : Friday, August 22, 2008 2:33:34 PM(UTC)
fancyynancyy

Hello your thread was the only thing I found on the entire internet about this trash compactor. It is really really old and I can't seem to find bags for it. Our compactor broke and someone gave us this really old one until we can get another one. Can you please tell me where you purchase your bags for the KCS-100. thanks
Gene  
#5 Posted : Friday, August 22, 2008 3:26:05 PM(UTC)
Gene

Groups: Senior Expert, Administrators

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
I would recommend to call the customer service at 877-477-7278 and they will help you to find the right bags.

Gene.
Josepe  
#6 Posted : Saturday, March 21, 2009 1:41:02 PM(UTC)
Josepe

I also have a similar problem with the Kitchenaid compactor KCS-100 where the door will not open. The unit is out in the open to where I can work on it. Could you please advise on what I can do to fix it? Thank you!
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply