Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Frank I  
#1 Posted : Monday, November 19, 2007 2:27:55 PM(UTC)
Frank I

Groups: Registered

I have Kitchen Aid trash compactor about three years old. It's gotten extremely hard to open the drawer. You either have to push down on the pedal relly hard or lift the front up to open. I've replaced the front rollers and pedal but it didn't help. It's easier to open when empty. I get a lot of dirty look's from the wife! HELP!
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

diginorm  
#2 Posted : Thursday, January 10, 2008 12:35:09 PM(UTC)
diginorm

Same compactor (brand) and problem as Frank. Tried cleaning and lubrication, that didn't help. Seems like if we close the door really hard, it helps sometimes. Almost like it's dropping too far into the recess on the track that holds it closed, and the pedal can't provide enough force to open it.
Frank I  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, January 16, 2008 10:49:27 AM(UTC)
Frank I

I finally did fix the problem, here's how I did it: First make sure the unit is plumb and level using the adjustments in the front. Remove the drawer. Then find two flat-headed screws. Screw them into the frame/floor of the unit as close to the front of the unit as possible about 6" apart. Install the bin/drawer. If the screws drag on the bottom of the bin, remove the bin and grind down the screw heads with a grinder or a file. You might also try banging in the bottom of the bin with a hammer as it may be out of shape from compaction. It worked for me, no more dirty looks! Frank I
diginorm  
#4 Posted : Monday, February 4, 2008 8:44:57 PM(UTC)
diginorm

Thanks Frank. About the same time you figured it out I fixed mine, not quite as dramatic:

Pulled the drawer all the way out, cleaned and lubed the wheels. Checked the bottom and found dirt and wear spots where bin was rubbing. Cleaned it thoroughly including the wear spots (steel wool or similar would do). Did the same thorough cleaning of the floor of the unit, making sure to get the wear spots rubbed down. Lube the rails, put the door back in, good as new.

I did check the alignment and it looks good. Just the two spots near the front, probably about where you put the screws in.

No more dirty looks here either!
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply