Discuss

GE Profile GCG1700LH 15" Trash Compactor

in

Trash Compactor Repair

. "

Installed 2007. When you depress the foot pedal, the pedal remains down and the drawer does not open. I can

..."

Register | FAQ's | New Posts | Today's Posts | Extras
Appliance Repair Forum > Appliance Repair Help > Trash Compactor Repair » GE Profile GCG1700LH 15" Trash Compactor

Post New Thread  Reply By reading any content on this site you agree to AppliancePartsPros.com, Inc. disclaimer and Terms of Use.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-09-2009, 10:26 PM

trashman is on a distinguished road
Default GE Profile GCG1700LH 15" Trash Compactor

Appliance Parts from AppliancePartPros.com

Installed 2007. When you depress the foot pedal, the pedal remains down and the drawer does not open. I can open the compactor by manually lifting the bottom of the drawer upward at the pedal base, but the purpose of a compactor is that it should open automatically so you can use the compactor. I've tighten the two screws on the inside on either side of the pedal mechanism (didn't change the situation), had a major company repair person come out and he also tightened the screws (still doesn't work) and, finally, replaced the pedal w/a new one (at repair person's prompting; still doesn't work). So, I'm writing you. The Profile is out of warranty (the major local appliance company we purchased from closed) and it cost $ 619. I'm quite disappointed.Is there something I'm not doing? Is there a certain height from the floor that the pedal should be at? What am I missing about this situation? Thanks for your suggestions/recommendations.

See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Old 12-24-2009, 06:33 PM

dannys00 is on a distinguished road
Default Solution for Compactor foot pedal problem

I also found that after 2 years my GE Profile Trash Compactor (purchased in June '07), the pedal was hanging down on the left side. I searched the internet and called GE to no avail.

After a few attempts, I finally solved the problem by removing the screw on the left side and adding a metal "L" bracket, with the bottom of the L flush against the back of the front panel. That way, when you depress the pedal, the screw can't pop out of the metal it's attached to.

Good luck!
Dannys00
Old 08-13-2011, 09:00 PM

hinesteam is on a distinguished road
Default L Bracket Solution Worked!!!

The L bracket definitely worked. I was having the exact same problem and tried the propose L bracket solutino at 10:30 pm EST. Thank you very much for posting it.

It is a poor design by GE.
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.