Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
fxcarden  
#1 Posted : Thursday, January 1, 2009 9:40:22 AM(UTC)
fxcarden

Groups: Registered

Hello, my TC-507 compactor stopped working this morning. Using information obtained in this site I was able to open the bottom, and find the problem......the big plastic gear (about 4.5 inches across) snapped in half......I am just trying to find out where I can get this part.

Here is a picture of the part......

UserPostedImage

it has some markings on it..........

DWG 4149668
CAV 1

and "FSP" inside a square.

I did find some generic kits that look close enough, but I just want to be sure I am getting the exact part I need. I am not paying $250 for a service call.....

Thanks.

Just some more info.....the problem started when I realized the motor was running continously.....I am not sure if the motor was running because there was no torque to reverse it due to the snapped gear, or if the switch is bad and by not reversing, it caused the gear to snap......kinda like the chicken and the egg.......at the time I found the problem the ram was down, and I had to manually turn the gears to get it to go back up......
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

fxcarden  
#2 Posted : Sunday, January 11, 2009 2:36:47 PM(UTC)
fxcarden

Ok......let me try again.......so I managed to find the part and replace it. In the process, I discovered the motor was also bad, so I replaced that as well......the compactor is working, but now it is very noisy.......before the problem, it was very quiet.......I checked and double checked all the screws to make sure nothing was left loose........it makes the noise both when the ram is driving down and when it's retracting........it's like a grinding noise..........the chain is tight with no slack.......

I think it may need lubrication on the screws that drive the ram up and down, but I can't figure out how to get at them......please somebody help.

Again.......Jenn-Air TC-507
Gene  
#3 Posted : Monday, January 12, 2009 2:05:22 PM(UTC)
Gene

Groups: Senior Expert, Administrators

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Remove the top cover, run the trash compactor until the ram will go all the way down and stop it. Lubricate the power screws with a grease as close as possible to the power nuts (#13 on the break down diagram). Run the ram up and try to reach under the power nuts with the grease.

If the power nut(s) worn out then the ram has to be pulled out in order to replace them.

Here are the break down diagrams for the Jenn Air trash compactor Model TC507B

Gene.
fxcarden  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, January 14, 2009 5:03:46 PM(UTC)
fxcarden

Gene,

Thanks for the diagrams......I opened up the unit, added grease as directed, and still makes the noise.....it is hard to tell where it is coming from.....I also added grease to the screws themselves......I guess I'll just wait for it to seize up and either have it repaired or replace it altogether....frankly with this thing being less than a year old I am not impressed with the quality......

Just as a follow up.......do you know if the motor itself requires any kind of grease ?.
Gene  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, January 14, 2009 5:09:36 PM(UTC)
Gene

Groups: Senior Expert, Administrators

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
The motor is not serviceable.

Gene.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply