Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
erb13  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, June 1, 2010 6:37:49 PM(UTC)
erb13

Groups: Registered

My refrigeration defrost cycle appears to be too aggressive. The ice cubes in the ice make storage bin appear melted and turn into one large lump and sometimes the ice cream is very soft. When not in a defrost cycle the freezer and refrigerator run at normal temperature but I continue to see evidence of too high temperatures in the freezer during the defrost cycle. Any advice on why this is occuring is appreciated.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

denman  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, June 2, 2010 1:22:46 AM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Here are your parts
Replacement parts for General Electric TBX25RKBR Refrigerator | AppliancePartsPros.com

Could be the defrost thermostat Item 620 in Section 5 is toast.

The defrost heater is shut off by this thermostat once all the ice/frost is melted off the evaporator coils.
Note: That the defrost time is set by the defrost timer and does not change so the unit stays in defrost mode till the defrost cycle is completed, usually 20 to 30 minutes, but the heater is off once the coils are clear.

It should be 0 ohms (closed) when frozen and infinite ohms (open) just above freezing.
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
erb13  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, June 2, 2010 12:18:33 PM(UTC)
erb13

I saw the thermostat on the parts drawing #5. Please recommend the best way to access this part. Thanks.
denman  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, June 2, 2010 2:14:39 PM(UTC)
denman

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
You have to remove the rear panel in the freezer to get at your evaporator coils
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
erb13  
#5 Posted : Saturday, June 12, 2010 12:03:56 PM(UTC)
erb13

I have opened the back panel of the freezer and now more questions. I have attached a photo of what I see with the back off. First there are 2 thermostats on the coils, one at the left edge of the top coil before the fins begin. This one seems wired to the heater. The other thermostat is mounted on the top coil in the middle of the coil. Which thermostat should I replace or do I need to replace both of them? From your earlier answer I ordered one thermostat and not two.

Another question is on the wiring. 3 of the four wires on the thermostats (remember one wire goes to the defrost heater) go into the rear section of the back wall and are not accessible nor do I know what they connect to. The wire colors are not the same as the replacement thermostat. The existing thermostats have orange and yellow wires and the replacement thermostat has orange and pink. Should I connect orange to orange and pink to yellow? All wires for both thermostats would have to be cut near the freezing coils and I am worried about non sealed splices subjected to a continual freeze thaw cycles created by the defrost cycles. Is it OK to splice the wires in this area? Is there any special technique for splicing to prevent corrosion or shorting problems with the splices?

Based on these questions I did not do anything and reassembled the freezer and await your response.
erb13 attached the following image(s):
DSC_0433.jpg
richappy  
#6 Posted : Sunday, June 13, 2010 10:54:59 AM(UTC)
richappy

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Your fridg is only supposed to have one defrost thermostat! I have NEVER seen two, someone must have wired one extra one in!
Your problem may be the compressor, looks like a rotary compressor! Amazing it lasted so long. I think that one was recalled in 1991, replaced free of charge.
If you can get an ohmeter, check both thermostats for a shorted one. They just might be wired in parallel.
erb13  
#7 Posted : Monday, June 14, 2010 5:54:24 PM(UTC)
erb13

Other than the defrost cycle the refrigerator/freezer is working fine so I don't think there is a problem with the compressor. Where can I get a wiring skematic for the refrigerator to help diagnose the problem?
richappy  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, June 15, 2010 1:10:58 AM(UTC)
richappy

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
I could not find one in the data base for your fridg, might try the manufacturer.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply