Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages<12
New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
fyxer  
#11 Posted : Tuesday, June 17, 2008 2:31:27 PM(UTC)
fyxer

Groups: Registered

Clean the condensor coils under the refrigerator with a coil brush,there are usually two knobs with numbers in the refrigerator compartment,the one to the right is the thermostat,turn that to number 5 the one on the left control a shutter that let different amouts of cold air into the refrigerator,turn it to number 2,the lower the number the more air will be allowed into the refrigerator,wait 24 hours for the temperature to stabilize,after 24 hours if the temperature is not perfect in the refrigerator and the freezer check to make sure both evaporator and condensor fan motors are working ok,if they are both working ok the problem is a weak compressor.

Fyxer - Hot Hubs
giaconsultants  
#12 Posted : Wednesday, June 18, 2008 6:29:45 AM(UTC)
giaconsultants

Whirlpool, S/S Refrigerator, #ED20TKXFW00, 1/1999, no ice maker, no water

Gene,

It's not exactly the same problem as Scott's his freezer compartment had a daily warming cycle up to 20-25 deg then back down again to 0 deg. Mine is a spike that mostly effects ice cream or ice.

The freezer and refrigerator both are consistently cold. The freezer temp spikes to 20-25 deg, but the average temp stays near 0 deg. The spike seems to coordinate with the defrost cycles.

The t-stat is set midway between off and #1, the freezer damper is set to coldest. Freezer averages 0 deg and the refrig averages 30 deg.

I just replaced the T-stat (whirlpool part) because it sometimes would not restart without a gentle tamp and replaced the defrost timer (whirlpool part) just because I was inside the control cabinet.

I clean the coils, compressor and fans annually and I've never had any ice buildup in the freezer. The water tray under the freezer is always dry.

I wondered if the freezer temp spike is related to the defrost cycle? And am clueless about why the t-stat setting doesn't seem to be calibrated to the temperature? :confused:

Thanks

Mark G
Gene  
#13 Posted : Wednesday, June 18, 2008 12:03:50 PM(UTC)
Gene

Groups: Senior Expert, Administrators

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Hi Mark,

Looks like you were right and the first failure I suspect must be the defrost thermostat (#35 on the unit break down diagram). If it stays closed during the full defrost cycle (which it's not supposed to) the defrost heater stays "on" to cause excessive heat in the freezer.

- The part number for the defrost thermostat is AP4299920

Here are the break down diagrams for the Whirlpool refrigerator Model ED20TKXFW00

Gene.
giaconsultants  
#14 Posted : Thursday, June 19, 2008 2:07:15 PM(UTC)
giaconsultants

Whirlpool, S/S Refrigerator, #ED20TKXFW00, 1/1999, (no ice maker or water dispenser)

Gene,

Since I just replaced the timer and t-stat, I'm going to observe the freezer and refrig temp conditions for the next few days and then do an update.

Thanks

Mark G
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply