Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Nicholson  
#1 Posted : Friday, May 7, 2010 10:08:33 AM(UTC)
Nicholson

Groups: Registered

Turned defrost control with screw driver. This removed the frost. Looks like the screw is rotating around, however refrigerator is still warm ( in the bottom crisper). How long does it take to start cooling off? I did not hear the sizzling noise after turning the control to defrost, but my hearing is not that good. Should I go ahead and replace the control because it must have been stuck causing frost constantly.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

denman  
#2 Posted : Saturday, May 8, 2010 5:48:28 AM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Here are your parts
Replacement parts for General Electric MSX24DRAAD Refrigerator | AppliancePartsPros.com

[COLOR="Blue"]Turned defrost control with screw driver. This removed the frost.[/COLOR]
I am assuming the fans stopped and it did a defrost cycle.
Unless the coils were frosted/iced up to the point where the evaporator coil cannot pull air through the coils you do not have a defrost problem. Some frost on the coils is normal.
Often you have to pull the evaporator cover to see the coils properly.

[COLOR="Blue"]How long does it take to start cooling off?[/COLOR]
You should be able to feel cold air blowing into the freezer compartment almost immediately.

[COLOR="Blue"] I did not hear the sizzling noise after turning the control to defrost, but my hearing is not that good.[/COLOR]
Sixxling only occurs when water drips onto the heating coil so it really does not mean any thing.
[COLOR="Blue"]
Should I go ahead and replace the control because it must have been stuck causing frost constantly.[/COLOR]
I would not as you may not have a defrost problem. Also once the coils are frost free the unit should work normally until the coils frost over again.

First check to see if the compressor is running. You should be able to hear it and feel it vibrating and it should be warm.
If not you may have a compressor starter/overload problem, a thermostat problem (not closing) or the compressor itself.

If it is running, remove the evaporator cover in the freezer and check the coils.
If totally frosted/iced over you have a defrost problem.
Could be the contacts in the defrost timer are toast. One side reconnects in the compressor once the defrost is over. Note that the fans should come on after defrost.
If there the frost is very patchy or only in one area then you are probably low on freon.
If there is no frost at all either you are out of freon, there is a plug in the sealed system or the compressor is toast.
The latter two usually mean the unit is toast as repairing it will be expensive.

Here are a couple good sites with basic fridge repair info.
Refrigerator Repair Guide: How To Fix a Refrigerator - ACME HOW TO.com
http://www.applianceaid.com/frig.html
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
Nicholson  
#3 Posted : Monday, May 10, 2010 8:16:16 AM(UTC)
Nicholson

Groups: Registered

Originally Posted by: denman Go to Quoted Post
Here are your parts
Replacement parts for General Electric MSX24DRAAD Refrigerator | AppliancePartsPros.com

Turned defrost control with screw driver. This removed the frost.
I am assuming the fans stopped and it did a defrost cycle.
Unless the coils were frosted/iced up to the point where the evaporator coil cannot pull air through the coils you do not have a defrost problem. Some frost on the coils is normal.
Often you have to pull the evaporator cover to see the coils properly.

How long does it take to start cooling off?
You should be able to feel cold air blowing into the freezer compartment almost immediately.

I did not hear the sizzling noise after turning the control to defrost, but my hearing is not that good.
Sixxling only occurs when water drips onto the heating coil so it really does not mean any thing.

Should I go ahead and replace the control because it must have been stuck causing frost constantly.
I would not as you may not have a defrost problem. Also once the coils are frost free the unit should work normally until the coils frost over again.

First check to see if the compressor is running. You should be able to hear it and feel it vibrating and it should be warm.
If not you may have a compressor starter/overload problem, a thermostat problem (not closing) or the compressor itself.

If it is running, remove the evaporator cover in the freezer and check the coils.
If totally frosted/iced over you have a defrost problem.
Could be the contacts in the defrost timer are toast. One side reconnects in the compressor once the defrost is over. Note that the fans should come on after defrost.
If there the frost is very patchy or only in one area then you are probably low on freon.
If there is no frost at all either you are out of freon, there is a plug in the sealed system or the compressor is toast.
The latter two usually mean the unit is toast as repairing it will be expensive.

Here are a couple good sites with basic fridge repair info.
Refrigerator Repair Guide: How To Fix a Refrigerator - ACME HOW TO.com
http://www.applianceaid.com/frig.html

Thanks for your help. I think the defrost control was stuck and it wasn,t letting the system go to the defrost mode. It seems to be working now.
What temperature should it be in the refridgerator? I have it turned up to the highest setting and it is about 44 degrees.
Thanks
denman  
#4 Posted : Monday, May 10, 2010 12:11:04 PM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply