Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
tyang54  
#1 Posted : Sunday, June 29, 2008 11:17:08 PM(UTC)
tyang54

Groups: Registered

This is going to be a long thread, so please bear with me. I appreciate the help of everyone who has helped already and everyone who is viewing this post. I am having trouble with my defrost system on the freezer. I think I have isolated the defrost system so far.

So far I have replaced the
1. Defrost Timer
2. Defrost Thermostat
3. Heater Element.
4. Ice Maker thermostat.

Following the replacement I was still frosting over and I tried to narrow it down by bypassing the defrost thermostat per the following post:

http://forum.appliancepartspros...oo-warm-8.html#post25021
UserPostedImage

As you can see from the picture this didn't work. For reference this is the second Defrost Heater. I used one of the other posts in here to check for continuity on the heating element and the meter read approx 29 Ohms resistance.

Next I decided to check to see what voltage was flowing across the heating element. In normal operating mode, I was getting approx 4.0 volts:
UserPostedImage

I then turned the defrost timer into the defrost position and checked current again (bypassing the heating element and going directly from the 2 leads going across the heating element) and only got about 2 Volts of current.

UserPostedImage

So here is where I am now stuck.

1. Why would the voltage across the heater be so low?
2. Am I measuring the correct points
3. and what matters most: How do I fixed my defrost element?

Once again, so many thanks to all of you who have helped already, and any additional thoughts are much appreciated.
________
Side effects of zoloft
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.