Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Mickstix  
#1 Posted : Friday, April 30, 2010 6:11:32 PM(UTC)
Mickstix

Groups: Registered

Hey again, does anyone know what PSI one of these compressors should be able to put out? I got this compressor out of a freezer, and tried turning it into a silent compressor for my airbrush, but I cant get it to build over 80psi.? Im trying to get 125psi (my pressure switch cutoff) This compressor has 5 "lines" (one if factory capped), while Im told most refrig compressors only have 3.. With all the lines cut and open, I turned on the compressor and 2 of the lines were pushing and pulling air while the other 2 were barely doing anything. So I assumed the 2 making all the noise were the "high pressure" in and out and those are the 2 main lines I used in the build. The other 2 "cooling" lines I've tried connecting to each other, and capping them off seperately, yet neither way seems to make a difference in the main output psi.. Any ideas what could be wrong or what I might try to fix it? Thanks.. Here are pictures of the compressor, with the lines labeled A-E, and the "would be" air brush compressor I made with it.. Thanks for any help!

Compressor (freezer) motor:
UserPostedImage
Lines ID:
A: High pressure "OUT"
B: High pressure "IN"
C: low pressure (cooling) "out"
D: low pressure (cooling) "in"
E: Factory capped "in"

New "silent" compressor (After):
UserPostedImage
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Mickstix  
#2 Posted : Saturday, May 1, 2010 8:12:12 PM(UTC)
Mickstix

Well, looks like alot of views but no replies.. So, maybe others are intersted about this like I am? If so, I found some info on another site (not sure of it's accuracy, but sounds about right in my case) Looks like my pump is only a 1/5 HP (although I cant find any HP rating on it) But the 80psi it puts out is in accordance with what I found.. Here's the info if anyone else needs it:

This should help understand a bit...
1/5hp compressor ~85psi & ~.7cfm
1/3hp compressor ~115psi & ~1.1cfm
1/2hp compressor ~115psi & ~2cfm

Also, if you want to build one of these, try and get a compressor from a regular refrigerator.. They only have 3 pressure lines to worry about (and 1 of them will probably be capped from the factory) This motor came from a stand alone freezer, and is probably why it has 5 lines to decifer.. Much more trouble than it's worth, for a novice in refrigeration, like myself.. Good luck! Mick
denman  
#3 Posted : Sunday, May 2, 2010 10:32:05 AM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
It may be a lot of trouble but your new setup sure does look purty.

Looks very professional to me.
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
Mickstix  
#4 Posted : Sunday, May 2, 2010 8:38:33 PM(UTC)
Mickstix

Thanks Denman! The trouble comment wasnt about the build itself, just about trying to decifer what (5) air lines do what, and what (if any) effect they have on the max psi output, if you dont cap them, or connect them to one another, etc.. Just much easier to get a compressor that only has the 3 lines on it, so ya know one blows one sucks and the other should be factory capped when ya get it.. :o But it does feel good to take some "would be" junk, and turn it into something nice.. If I wasnt panning to use it for spraying "tee-shirts" (need to spray at 40-60+ psi) the 80psi this little motor puts out would be fine.. But thanks again for the comment! ;)
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply