Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
g20zoom  
#1 Posted : Thursday, June 19, 2008 11:24:42 AM(UTC)
g20zoom

Groups: Registered

I have:
Kenmore side by side refrigerator
model
Air diffuser part # (from the Sears electronic diagnostic sheet)

Freezer works fine but fridge is only 55-60 degress. The Air diffuser is closed. I forced it open, but it ends up closing when I come back to it. I just read from this forum i might need to disconnect the wires, i'll try that.

Fridge was working fine last week, until I moved it...it was shutoff for about 10-15 minutes, so after that...fridge was busted.

Does it sound like a bad air diffuser or is the part just need to be cleaned/defrosted? Do you think the warmer air(when unplugged) caused some ice to melt then refreeze and lock up the vent?

In any case, I just ordered a part from here. Does anyone know if the part # above also includes a thermistor in there?

Lastly, how do I go about replacing the unit?
Here's what I think needs to be done:
fridge side - remove wiring cover screw and another screw on the air diffuser.
freezer -remove ice maker, air shute? and get to the back of the diffuser to push it out on fridge side.
I know there are 2 prongs on the diffuser, but i'm not sure how that will be handled yet.

Thanks!!
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Gene  
#2 Posted : Friday, June 20, 2008 10:43:27 AM(UTC)
Gene

Groups: Senior Expert, Administrators

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Most likely the problem is a bad air diffuser. It comes without a thermistor.

You described the replacement procedure absolutely right, but if you need the complete diagnosis and installation instructions, you can find them in the service manual.

Gene.
g20zoom  
#3 Posted : Friday, June 20, 2008 1:12:44 PM(UTC)
g20zoom

Thanks Gene. Excellent pictures in the manual. Identical pics to the fridge. It's crystal clear after I poked around in there last nite. Just received the part too, so I'll try it out tonite. Saves me $100 on labor if this solves the problem!
Gene  
#4 Posted : Friday, June 20, 2008 3:20:11 PM(UTC)
Gene

Groups: Senior Expert, Administrators

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Keep us posted.

Gene.
g20zoom  
#5 Posted : Monday, June 23, 2008 8:54:15 AM(UTC)
g20zoom

It seems to be working. When I had the diffuser partially blocked open with a stick, it took a few hours to come down from 55-60 deg to 40. With the new part in, temp was down to 40 in an hour or so. In the morning it was about 37 deg or so but daytime it doesn't really go lower than 40.

Question, digital temp on the fridge side says 33. That's the lowest setting but fridge only comes down to 40. Freezer is at 0 last week when I checked. Outside fridge temp is about 80-85 degrees during the day. Should my fridge be getting colder?

Thanks
jonlmiller  
#6 Posted : Monday, August 11, 2008 11:10:10 AM(UTC)
jonlmiller

i've had lot's of problems with the diffuser, and have just finally ordered a new one. what i've found is that if a door is left ajar, (can't remember which one), then the diffuser ices up. once the part with the slots in it insider the deffuser is frozen in place, then the cam that moves it (with quite a bit of torque) breaks the sliding part. i've rebuilt that bit a few times, but it looks like it failed again.
g20zoom  
#7 Posted : Monday, August 11, 2008 3:02:13 PM(UTC)
g20zoom

How did you repair it the past? I used a new part...so far, it's working pretty good. I did save my old part to dissect when I get some free time. Looking in the vents though, it seems fine.
jonlmiller  
#8 Posted : Monday, August 11, 2008 3:23:06 PM(UTC)
jonlmiller

i'll post some pictures of the old, frequently repaired one as soon as the new one arrives. i only repaired it as a challenge to myself -- it was NOT worth it except for the amusement factor. the first time it failed, i called for warranty service. the guy came out, stuck a screwdriver in the vents, and got it open again, so the fridge cooled down. but he probably broke it further by doing so and it failed again within weeks. after that, it was just me against the establishment!! :D
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply