Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
qwest48  
#1 Posted : Thursday, April 15, 2010 4:48:47 PM(UTC)
qwest48

Groups: Registered

Ice maker wont make ice. It apparently stopped over the winter when full and now wont make ice after ice container was emptied. Water from fridge is working so filter is not clogged and green light is on. Icemaker doesn't cycle but I have not taken anything apart to check it out. Any ideas on what to do first?
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

FridgeDoctor  
#2 Posted : Friday, April 16, 2010 7:53:51 AM(UTC)
FridgeDoctor

Groups: Expert

IM assuming you mean the green light on the ice maker is on steadily. you can test the ice maker system, by first turning off the ice maker, leave it off for one minute. Now within 10 seconds after turning the ice maker back on, and with a one second pause in between, push in the paddle of the ice maker 3 times, and do nothing else. if the ice maker is working properly, it should begin to cycle, and eventually call for water. If it never cycles or if it cycles and receives water, you have a bad ice maker, if it cycles and does not get water, you have to replace your water valve(s)
qwest48  
#3 Posted : Friday, April 16, 2010 10:21:14 AM(UTC)
qwest48

Thank you for your response.

Yes, the green light is on the ice maker and stays on. When you mention the "PADDLE" are you referring to the plastic part that swings back and forth above the ice chest/container? That is the only thing that looks like a paddle that i can see?

Thank you again and I will try this when I get home and post the results
FridgeDoctor  
#4 Posted : Friday, April 16, 2010 10:33:19 AM(UTC)
FridgeDoctor

yep, its mounted underneath the mold of the ice maker.
qwest48  
#5 Posted : Sunday, April 18, 2010 7:12:05 AM(UTC)
qwest48

Fridgedoctor,

Ice maker did nothing after doing as you stated so it appears that it is bad. Is there a way to isolate a component or is it best to buy a whole new icemaker?

Thanks for your help
FridgeDoctor  
#6 Posted : Sunday, April 18, 2010 7:37:14 AM(UTC)
FridgeDoctor

One quick question before i tell you to buy the ice maker. When you turned the ice maker on, or if you do it now, those GE ice makers will test the valve connection when initially turned on. you should get a little squirt of water, did you? Also, its a good idea to try this test a few times, as even I can sometimes have difficulties performing it, as you have to be quite particular. I always leave it off for 1 minute in between, when i turn the ice maker on, i start to count off, one mississippi, etc. on 1, turn on, 2 push in, 3 release, 4, push in, etc. After the third release, again, just leave it and watch it, it may take a minute or two to cycle.
Again follow my results, and if you determine you still need an ice maker...
Its best to just buy a whole new ice maker, as the repair is a VERY complicated matter to disassemble the ice maker, etc. GE themselves will tell you similarly. a new one will literally take you 10 minutes to complete
qwest48  
#7 Posted : Sunday, April 18, 2010 9:33:51 AM(UTC)
qwest48

No water spurts out after turning icemaker on after being off for one minute. I've repeated the test about 5 times with nothing happening. However, I have not changed the filter in a few years but water does come out for drinking water in the door. Is the water valve on the bottom of the fridge behind a panel? It appears that the water goes in to the filter and then back down the back of the fridge to the bottom. Hard to tell how it provides water to the door but line does go from bottom of fridge to back of fridge where the icemaker is.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply