Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
rob tiller  
#1 Posted : Monday, June 9, 2008 11:47:56 AM(UTC)
rob tiller

Groups: Registered

Found melted overload relay on fridge. compressor wouldnt run, lights, freezer fan running. Fridge was on circuit that was tripped/reset numerous times one day while working in garage. (had nothing to do with fridge, just common circuit load) The fridge died a day later when the orange wires terminal on relay just fell off. I can replace the relay, but how do I know if the power cycling killed it or if the compressor is bad and I'm just throwing away $35.00 on a new overload relay? Thanks! Rob
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

abadfish66  
#2 Posted : Monday, June 9, 2008 9:30:16 PM(UTC)
abadfish66

Groups: Senior Expert

Chances are very slim the compressor caused this. If you have a multimeter, check the compressor winding in ohms. measure com-run, com to start, and run to start. if the readings from com-run and com-start equal run to start, your compressor is fine. Basically you have 3 terminals on the compressor. the middle pin is com. the other 2 are your run and start windings. check ohms and post results
richappy  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, June 10, 2008 2:39:48 AM(UTC)
richappy

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
If you have a melted start relay, the compressor may have shorted and caused this. Check all three compressor pins for a short to ground, if any resistance, you have a burnt out compressor.
rob tiller  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, June 11, 2008 8:06:18 AM(UTC)
rob tiller

Thanks for the advice. Checking with my local appl parts store, they said "they've had a lot of trouble with that original PTC relay and the replacement is a different design." The new unit is actually two components where the Overload is actually separate from the Start components. It does not look at all like the original part, which is the one pictured on this site as the available replacement.

Followed the directions to hook it up but it wanted the orange (line) and white (cap) terminals opposite the original pins on the old device. Not knowing what path the circuit takes inside either PTC relay, I followed directions. It didnt work and the compressor tried to start a time or two but did not run. Deciding it couldnt hurt to swap the wires because it seemed to me the start cap wasnt being connected as it should, I reversed the orange and white wires against the instructions and was rewarded with a quiet hum and cool air.

Appreciate the time and help you guys give!
abadfish66  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, June 11, 2008 8:22:34 AM(UTC)
abadfish66

Good to hear you got it to work, just one question there was only a white and orange wire on the original relay, there was no black wire?
z314a  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, June 18, 2008 6:56:26 PM(UTC)
z314a

I have a Maytag refrigerator with the same problem, same scenario, and it is fixed the exactly the same way, even with the same wrong installation instruction.

Thanks for post your result that help me out.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply