Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Billyb08  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, March 24, 2010 3:10:56 PM(UTC)
Billyb08

Groups: Registered

I have a six year old amana refridgerator and the ice maker line has a block in it and in turn it ruined the compressor, How do I clean out the ice maker line and second is it a big deal to evacuate the system and recharge it? I have a A/C machine(134A) for autos will it work on the refridgerator?
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

FridgeDoctor  
#2 Posted : Thursday, March 25, 2010 9:07:37 AM(UTC)
FridgeDoctor

Groups: Expert

You should only attempt to evacuate and recharge the system with refrigerant if you have a leak, or you have to replace the compressor. Yes, it is absolutely a very big deal to open up a hermetically sealed refrigeration system. If you are not EPA Certified in Type I refrigeration, or to perform repairs for a residential refrigeration system using less than 5 pounds of refrigerant, it is illegal for you to open up and compromise a hermetically sealed system. If you are not trained in repairing refrigerators, which is different entirely than working on an auto A/C unit, you will leak refrigerant into the atmosphere, and get a nice fine from the EPA of, last time I checked, $39,000. Only EPA Certified experienced refrigerator repair service technicians should ever perform these types of major repairs.

But i doubt you have a problem with your compressor anyway. You may have burnt out your compressor start kit if you ignored your problem for too long, but if the windings inside the compressor shorted due to the excessive water, id start looking for a new refrigerator. At the risk of being redundant, have the compressor looked at by an expert home refrigerator repair service, because if you don't know what you are doing, you could in fact damage your compressor, or worse, cause serious bodily damage, even death.

I wouldn't worry about fixing your water valve until you find out from someone if your compressor is OK. If you find you don't have a problem with your compressor, replace your water valve, and gently remove the ice from the fill tube, the tube that directs the water into the ice maker and which "has the block in it" I believe you are referring to.

Expert Refrigerator Repair Service in Chicago and Suburbs
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply