Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
osualum78  
#1 Posted : Saturday, March 20, 2010 2:44:04 PM(UTC)
osualum78

Groups: Registered

So my wife and I woke up today to our water dispenser not working. GE fridge model GSS25XSRESS. It has been a long time since I have changed the filter, so I pulled the filter and installed the filter bypass and tried it, and nothing (we will get new filter soon). I pulled the shelves and drawers to find the water tank dispenser frozen. I took a hairdryer to the tank at a low heat to thaw it, and then tried water dispenser, and poof it works now. I turned down the settings to 5 for the freezer and 4 for the fridge, even though both sides have been on higher settings for a long time. I now have an issue of water squirting from the tank dispenser when the water dispenser is being used. It doesn't leak by itself, or if it is, it is a very small slow leak; but it is really visible only when the water dispenser is being used. A small amount of water sprays the back wall when the water is dispenser is being used. I am assuming the freezing of the tank (expanded water) cracked it some? I am going to order new part: WR17X11440, but was wondering what I need to do to install this part once it gets here? Can I get this part from a local place like Lowe's, Home Depot, or Sears? Should I consider getting a line heater? Seems costly and not really worth it? I am going to throw some more foam or styrofoam back there to help insulate it better around the exposed tank. Is this the proper thing to do? Why would it just now freeze after it's been on a colder setting for a real long time? Our fridge is kind of empty compared to normal, but has been this empty before with no problems. Could the 'Turbo Cool' be on too much or the fridge trying to cool too much?

Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

osualum78  
#2 Posted : Thursday, March 25, 2010 12:48:41 PM(UTC)
osualum78

Anybody got a reply for me?

Thanks
John Korn  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, January 4, 2011 8:59:32 AM(UTC)
John Korn

I assume you already took care of it.
I found the answer here because I have same problem.
Any tips? Was it fairly simple?

Link to how to.

http://forum.appliancepartspros...dispenser-reservoir.html
John Korn  
#4 Posted : Sunday, January 9, 2011 5:23:18 AM(UTC)
John Korn

I replaced my water tank yesterday with these parts.

AP3205548 (WR17X11440) Water tank disp asm
AP3670039 (WR02X10471) Fitting, water connector union - 2 of these
1.)
Cut off water supply behind fridge and run water from dispenser.
No water should be coming out.
Take out 3 bottom food containers and shelves.
2.)
Unscrew tank assembly, mine had only one screw. Pull down styrofoam and then tank.
3.)
The tubes are surrounded by a styrofoam tube. Slice it vertical to take off
with a single edge razor blade. Careful not to slice tubing.
4.)
Make a mark or place tape on one of the tubes upper and lower
so you know which tube is which after the cut.
Cut tubing on bad tank about 6 inches from bottom where it goes into bottom of fridge with razor blade. Make as straight a cut. Take tank out.
5.)
Push a connector on both pieces of tubing coming out of fridge.
6.)
Take new tank and compare with old tank. Take off stryfoam tubing around tubes. Cut those tubes 1 to 1 1/2 inches longer than bad tank just in case you have to do this again in the future. Better to have more than less.
7.)
Connect those tubes to refrigerator tubes making sure you connect to the right tubes based on the marks you made in step 4.
8.)
Turn on water supply and start the water dispenser until it starts filling with water. Can take 1 -3 minutes as the new tank has to fill.
Look at tank and fittings while water running.
You should be leak free.
9.)
Screw assembly back in and push tank foam up. Push tubing back as it is longer now. Take split foam from tubing and surround tubing. You are done.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply