Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
arthur clay  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, March 16, 2010 6:53:41 PM(UTC)
arthur clay

Groups: Registered

the clean coil light had beeped but I had to wait till this last weekend to clean it but before I could clean it the high temp light light came on then the freezer defrosted , the feezer coils have ice on them but the fan above the coils does not work ( I checked it with 120 from wall outlet it worked) the thermastat cliped to the coil has continuity when cold . The freezer themistor when I uplugged it seemed to shut it down, thanks
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

FridgeDoctor  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, March 16, 2010 9:16:31 PM(UTC)
FridgeDoctor

Groups: Expert

is it safe to assume that you had cold temps at the bottom of both sides? Also, when you took off the back wall of freezer, was the upper half of evaporator covered in thick frost, while the lower half had a light even coating? You say you checked fan operation from direct line voltage and the bimetal thermostat clipped to the evaporator had continuity when cold. Ok , you are 2/3 of the way there, or 3/4 if my solution doesnt solve. But you lastly have to check the cal rod defrost heater element. One end of the heater connects to two orange wires with a plug, and the other end connects to a brown wire im pretty sure, also with a plug. Of course, disconnect power first, but then check continuity through this heater element. Since fan was not operating, and fan and bimetal check ok, oh and there is no thermistor connected into the fan circuit, that is strictly for the temperature reading on the control board.

You can visit my website to ask any general refrigerator questions. Refrigerator Freezer Appliance Repair Service
arthur clay  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, March 17, 2010 3:05:18 AM(UTC)
arthur clay

I think you got it for me , there is no continuity at the ends of the heater element.
arthur clay  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, March 17, 2010 2:51:13 PM(UTC)
arthur clay

aparently there is a resistance of 30 for this element , I just blew 50.00 bucks thinking it was to straight continuity , three ice chests with my food going bad , 4years for an amana product of this expence? dosent seem right
FridgeDoctor  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, March 17, 2010 3:12:15 PM(UTC)
FridgeDoctor

a heater having a resistance of 30 ohms would still fail a continuity test if it was bad. If you just replaced this heater, and the fridge was not running before you replaced it, the bi metal thermostat needs time to get cold so it can complete the fan circuit. Give it 60 minutes.

You can visit my website to ask any general refrigerator questions. Refrigerator Freezer Appliance Repair Service
arthur clay  
#6 Posted : Thursday, March 18, 2010 4:41:23 PM(UTC)
arthur clay

thank you for trying to help ,times are tough but where theres a will theres a way just hard wired an extension cord to the fan, fridge now works, or at least til I can afford a replacement, keeping temps checked with indoor outdoor temp display with remote sensor,will I think ,plug main fridge into 15 amp grouded appliance timer to defrost a couple times a day or week depending on what I find out
FridgeDoctor  
#7 Posted : Thursday, March 18, 2010 4:45:07 PM(UTC)
FridgeDoctor

are you SURE that bimetal thermostat is good? those are very often the problem, and it only costs a few bucks

Quick Reply Show Quick Reply