Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
cold_beef_cake  
#1 Posted : Friday, March 12, 2010 6:36:37 PM(UTC)
cold_beef_cake

Groups: Registered

I have an 8-year whirlpool side-by-side that stopped cooling last night. There's no frost on the condensor but I hear that intermittent click on the compressor which, I believe, is coming from the relay/overload and/or starter piece attached to the compressor. The compressor is warm and the fan is running but no cooling is occurring.

I took the entire plastic unit that is attached to the compressor off. However, from the pictures in the parts catalog, I'm confused as to whether this is the "start" kit or the "relay/overload" kit or if they are combined in the same unit. I did shake it and there were loose pieces of metal coming out and when I opened it up, a disc-like shape was cracked and falling apart.

I feel confident that I should try to replace this piece but I'm not exactly sure what it is or which kit (or two) to order.

Help!
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

richappy  
#2 Posted : Saturday, March 13, 2010 3:17:09 AM(UTC)
richappy

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
I would order the start device on this site AP3083556. This is a direct replacement for your relay and overload.
To prevent this from happening again, I would buy a 1000 joule surge protector for refrigerators available at Lowe's, $12.95
cold_beef_cake  
#3 Posted : Monday, March 15, 2010 4:52:10 AM(UTC)
cold_beef_cake

Oh well, my wife doesn't want to deal with trying to fix it. She wants a new one and sometimes fighting is just not worth it, of course, replacing it with a nice, new stainless steel fridge is turning into a complete appliance and kitchen makeover. Who knew that a $50 part failure would turn into a $7K makeover. Now the question is whether I should try to fix it and then attempt to sell the used fridge.

Oh well, thanks.
richappy  
#4 Posted : Monday, March 15, 2010 5:00:44 AM(UTC)
richappy

I would not buy a new Whirlpool. If you want a sxs, I would not buy GE unless it is free of the problematic motherboard. The GE freezer on top or bottom without the motherboard is what I would buy. Just make sure there is service info with it. Make the sales person show where it is befor buying.
cold_beef_cake  
#5 Posted : Monday, March 15, 2010 5:04:34 AM(UTC)
cold_beef_cake

We saw a side-by-side 26cu ft. Fridgidaire that we liked. I won't touch Whirlpool again. Have had a bad experience with their microwaves too.

Fridgidaire is made by Electrolux. Any opinion on that brand?
richappy  
#6 Posted : Monday, March 15, 2010 6:20:17 AM(UTC)
richappy

Really don't know about new Frigidaire. Just that I have serviced a lot of them with bad compressors or leaky evaporators. I service a lot of GE's at Penn State U. and find they hold up pretty good, but any fridg you buy, I would stick a 1000 joule surge protector on it.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply