Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
kodoc1  
#1 Posted : Sunday, March 7, 2010 7:29:19 AM(UTC)
kodoc1

Groups: Registered

This is the fridge I keep out in the garage for beverages and extra freezer space. It has not been keeping the freezer frozen or the fridge cold. It does not kick on automatically as it should. If I go to the fridge and turn the temp control colder, it will kick on and will keep the items frozen and the fridge cold, but I have to keep manually going out to the fridge and turn the temp control knob to make it kick on. It has been cold here, so I have been able to keep up with manually making it kick on and keeping my food frozen, but spring is coming, and I will not be able to keep up. I have tried testing for continuity as I have read on this website and others, and I have not had success at figuring out the defective part. It is very easy to get the parts out and test them, so rather than pay a repairman to come, I would like to figure out the offending part and replace it myself. Just from the story, does anyone have an idea of which part is the problem?
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

denman  
#2 Posted : Monday, March 8, 2010 4:14:09 AM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Here are your parts
Replacement parts for FRIGIDAIRE FRT8B5EW4 Frigidaire/refrigerator | AppliancePartsPros.com

It sounds like your thermostat is sticking open Item 21 in Section 3.
This is the part I would replace but take note of the following.

[COLOR="Blue"]It has been cold here, so I have been able to keep up with manually making it kick on and keeping my food frozen, but spring is coming, and I will not be able to keep up.[/COLOR]
The cold weather may be your problem.
One difference is that your fresh food section is getting warm so if this is the case then I would replace the thermostat as suggested.
What can happen if the ambient temperature is too cold is that the defrost heater comes on and defrosts the unit but since the ambient temperature is too low the compressor does not kick in after the defrost cycle ends as the units temperature is still too cold. The heat from the defrost then stays in the freezer and melts the food.
Frigidaire actually make a kit which fools the unit into thinking that the fresh food section is actually warmer than is is so that the compressor runs after a defrost cycle.
Part number: AP3722172
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
kodoc1  
#3 Posted : Monday, March 8, 2010 5:11:15 AM(UTC)
kodoc1

Thanks for the information. I also assumed it was the temperature control and ordered one yesterday. However, now I am starting to think it might be the low ambient temperature problem. I'm not sure. I think the food in the fridge was still pretty cold. Freezer was definitely thawing. And yesterday when the temp went up to close to 60 degrees, the fridge was kicking on and off by itself. Then again, I have had that fridge out in the garage for 3 years and seemingly only had the problem this year...it is a little colder this year though. It seems like I should get the garage kit and NOT the thermostat for now right? Actually, I live in SC, so since the weather has pretty much changed for the warmer, then I won't have the problem till next winter, right? If you don't mind, I would like your advice on whether or not to install the garage kit plus/minus the temp control part you referenced above please. You have been a great help.
denman  
#4 Posted : Monday, March 8, 2010 8:45:57 AM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
[COLOR="Blue"]It seems like I should get the garage kit and NOT the thermostat for now right?[/COLOR]
Cannot say for sure but it does sound like you had an ambient temperature problem since the unit ran OK on a warmer day.

[COLOR="Blue"]Actually, I live in SC, so since the weather has pretty much changed for the warmer, then I won't have the problem till next winter, right?[/COLOR]
As long as I was not loosing any freezer food due to the problem I would wait and see what happens. If it runs OK once the weather warms up then odds are the kit will solve the problem for next winter.
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
kodoc1  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, March 10, 2010 4:55:47 PM(UTC)
kodoc1

OK, the bottom line was that the fridge was functioning properly, but not responding well to a cold environment. As the weather warmed up, the fridge began working automatically again. Thanks to Denman, I did NOT buy the $60 temp control unit but instead bought the $20 "garage kit" which is basically a small heater that tricks the refrigerator into thinking the ambient temperature is higher than it really is and therefore allows the fridge to automatically kick back on after the defrost cycle runs. Actually, with the weather change I probably did not need the kit (till next year), but I installed it anyway. It was easy. Thanks Denman!
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply