Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
osutucker  
#1 Posted : Friday, March 5, 2010 8:08:12 AM(UTC)
osutucker

Groups: Registered

I have a side by side whirlpool refrigerator. The ice maker all the sudden stopped producing ice about a week ago. I took what few screws where in the casing of the ice maker out to see if there was anything not properly attached. I found out there isnt much to them. I gave up and walked away. Later that day it started to make some ice. Before completing the process it stopped. I thought maybe that the ice got stuck or something so I broke the ice in hopes that the ice maker would start to produce more. No such luck. Now as of this morning there is a digital dial in the upper region on the refrigerator side that usually showed a digital read out on what "level" of coolness we had inside the refrigerator and it is no longer displaying, yet the refrigerator seems to still be cold. I am hoping that you can assist me with these issues. The model number of my unit is GS6SHAXMQ00 the last two characters of the model number are zeros. and the serial number if needed is SP2846602. Again the second to last character of the serial number is a zero. I look fowrard to hearing back soon. Thanks!
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Gene  
#2 Posted : Friday, March 5, 2010 4:09:36 PM(UTC)
Gene

Groups: Senior Expert, Administrators

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
What are the exact temperatures in the freezer and the refrigerator?

Do the lights in the refrigerator work?

Here are the breakdown diagrams and Replacement parts for WHIRLPOOL GS6SHAXMQ00 Refrigerator | AppliancePartsPros.com

Gene.
osutucker  
#3 Posted : Monday, March 8, 2010 6:27:21 AM(UTC)
osutucker

Thank you for your reply. I am not certain of the actual temperature in the fridge or the freezer. The lights in the unit work, that being said the display that shows the "level" of coldness in the fridge no longer displays in digital. The unit has a small box like structure in top of the fridge with a manual dial on the right side. The dial allows you to adjust the coldness of the unit. on the front side of the box, there is a digital read of the level you have chose to put the unit on. It all the sudden no longer displays. Thank you for the parts break down list, I will review it and see if I can figure out the problem. My father in-law suggested checking the valve and the filter. Weird thing is I am able to get water out of the door unit so I assume that the freezer gets water as well. Also this morning there was 2 cubes of ice that had been made at some point but they weren't fully developed. If anything else comes to mind please let me know.

Thanks again for the help!
Gene  
#4 Posted : Monday, March 8, 2010 9:11:56 PM(UTC)
Gene

One of the most common cause for the slow ice production is insufficient (more than 15°F) in the freezer. That's why I asked you for the exact temperature.

Gene.
osutucker  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, March 9, 2010 1:47:30 PM(UTC)
osutucker

Gene,

Ok understood, I will do my best to get a temperature of the freezer and go from there. Thanks again, I really appreciate the help! I will post tomorrow morning hopefully and see if there is anything else that I could check on.

Thanks again, I really appreciate the advice

Kenny
osutucker  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, March 17, 2010 7:05:46 AM(UTC)
osutucker

Gene,

I used a lazer temperature indicator that a friend had. It showed that the temp was flucuating..... (may have been the lazer hiting different items etc...) Went from 5 degrees to 15. So looks like the temperature is correct in freezer. I also located the filter and took it out then put it back in. I then hit the filter button on the front side of the fridge to re-set. Still no ice.

Any other suggestions you can think of? Again I really do appreciate you taking the time to help me with this problem.

Regards,
Kenny
Gene  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, March 17, 2010 2:34:17 PM(UTC)
Gene

Kenny,

You have to check the ice maker and the optics (#26 & #38 on the diagram) as described in our previous posts: http://forum.appliancepartspros...-maker-quit-working.html and http://forum.appliancepartspros...makes-little-no-ice.html. Post the results.

Quote:
...there is a digital dial in the upper region on the refrigerator side that usually showed a digital read out on what "level" of coolness we had inside the refrigerator and it is no longer displaying...

Check the light bulb (#19 on the diagram) and power to it.
osutucker  
#8 Posted : Thursday, March 18, 2010 7:38:01 AM(UTC)
osutucker

Gene,

Thanks again, I will look at those components this evening and write back tomorrow.

Thank you,
Kenny
osutucker  
#9 Posted : Thursday, April 15, 2010 6:04:56 AM(UTC)
osutucker

Gene,

I wanted to say thank you once again! We did have to end up replacing the ice maker after the "testing" i did per your advise. It worked/works great. However, now the pucket itself wont drop ice down through dispenser. Long story short. We took the ice bucket out of freezer door for some reason briefly. When we (my wife and I) went to put ice bucket back in its place.... It wouldn't go in to place. We checked for any frozen ice etc... after making sure there was no obstruction in the way we proceeded to place bucket back in door (holder). We honestly got little frustrated and ended up geting it to snap in to place we believe. That being said, now when we engage the ice dispencer on the exterior part of the door it makes noise like it is working yet no ice will dispense. The ice maker is making ice, and the bucket is full of ice... but wont dispense. Any suggestions on this one?

Thanks again, what you do or least have done for me has been a HUGE HELP. It is much appreciated!
Gene  
#10 Posted : Friday, April 16, 2010 4:37:56 PM(UTC)
Gene

You are very welcome. Thank you for your good words.

Remove the ice bin and check the coupling (#25 on the diagram). I've seen them cracked.

- The coupling Part number: AP3136992
Part number: AP3136992

Gene.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply