Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
MichiganLarry  
#1 Posted : Thursday, May 22, 2008 3:32:26 AM(UTC)
MichiganLarry

Groups: Registered

Hello,

It looks like the bottom defrost heater is bad on my fridge. It looks as if there are two heaters (why?). The replacement part WR51X442 comes with two heaters and a thermostat for about 50 bucks. Can I just get the one heater or should I replace them all since I have it apart?

Also, how do you connect the wires? At the heater or up at the top where all the wires come together?

I want to check the defrost timer as well. Where is it located and do you have the part number?

I need to get a few more miles out of the old girl!

Thanks for your help!!
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

abadfish66  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, May 28, 2008 10:23:54 PM(UTC)
abadfish66

Groups: Senior Expert

Yes you must replace both heaters. Yes, hook the wire up at top there is a rubber 3 pin connector and the t-stat. Replacing only one heatter will result in the other one failing soon. The part# for the timer is AP2061695 and is located behind the panel in the freshfood section where the temp controls are. just remove the knobs for the temp controls and push up on the plastic cover it will come off. the timer is going to be on the left side.
MichiganLarry  
#3 Posted : Thursday, May 29, 2008 4:43:38 AM(UTC)
MichiganLarry

Thanks very much. I will order the heater kit since one of my heaters is obviously burned out. My first symptom was that the freezer was not staying cold, followed by the fridge doing the same.

I'm thinking that if the timer was bad and got stuck on the defrost cycle, that may have burned out the heater. I don't want to put a new heater in just to have it burn up as well. Do you think this is a likely cause, and if so, how do you tell whether my timer is bad?
abadfish66  
#4 Posted : Thursday, May 29, 2008 7:19:00 AM(UTC)
abadfish66

You would know if the timer got stuck on defrost, you would have no frost, and the fridge on both sides would be room temp. While it is likely the timer could cause it to burn, it's very unlikely. If you hear a clock like noise coming from the fresh food side, I would say replace the timer, if not, I'd leave it alone.
MichiganLarry  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, June 3, 2008 3:19:22 PM(UTC)
MichiganLarry

Probably not the timer. I'll leave that alone, then.

I bought the heater kit from your site (nice job on the quick service, by the way) and installed it...piece of cake. The freezer is back down to freezing(ish) but the fridge is at 50 degrees even on the coldest setting.

Anything else I can check? It's not quite getting cold enough.

Larry
abadfish66  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, June 3, 2008 3:30:17 PM(UTC)
abadfish66

Did you get rid of all the ice on the evap before putting it all back together?
MichiganLarry  
#7 Posted : Thursday, June 5, 2008 6:41:31 PM(UTC)
MichiganLarry

Yes. I've had it plugged in since I replaced the parts a few days ago and the fridge temp on the coldest setting hovers between 42 and 48 degrees (measured with a digital probe thermometer). The freezer is cold enough to freeze ice just fine. I don't get why the refrigerator wont cool down.
abadfish66  
#8 Posted : Thursday, June 5, 2008 9:06:47 PM(UTC)
abadfish66

Is the fridge empty, or do you have it loaded with food. If It is empty, your temps will not stablize, and the refer will short cycle. i am just going to assume the fridge is empty till I hear back from you, so do this. Load it up with containers of water crumpled newspaper, whatever you like, and see if the temp stablizes. A refer need a load to work properly.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply