Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Fokkersauras  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, March 3, 2010 12:09:09 PM(UTC)
Fokkersauras

Groups: Registered

Hi, and thank you for any help you might provide me. I have a 18 to 20 year old kenmore side by side (model 596.8590811). The ice maker quit working quite a year ago and I thought I'd be replacing the refrigerator, but alas the money is tight to non existant anymore. If someone could give me a trouble shooting flow chart or advice I'd very much appreciate it, so would my family. I am somewhat mechanically inclined, kind of like Tim the Tool Man, maybe more dangerous with my limited knowledge. Anyway I'm ready to tackle this thing. I've read various postings as to water valves, circuit boards, ice making units. I don't want to willy nilly replace things if I can help it. Did I explain the money situation? Any way thank you for any help or direction you may give me.
Sincerely, the
Fokkersauras:rolleyes:
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

magician59  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, March 3, 2010 12:14:55 PM(UTC)
magician59

Groups: Senior Expert

What's your freezer temperature?
Fokkersauras  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, March 3, 2010 12:20:07 PM(UTC)
Fokkersauras

Originally Posted by: magician59 Go to Quoted Post
What's your freezer temperature?

Hi, the freezer temperature is set to 1, I don't have a temperature, but I'll try to get one for you. Can't find a darn thermometer, but I know it freezes my beer pretty quickly if I leave it in there too long. I'll try to get a thermometer, but why may that be important? Thanks
Fokkersauras
magician59  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, March 3, 2010 12:37:29 PM(UTC)
magician59

Please try not to distract me with acold beer...my work day isn't over yet. First the freezer must be cold enough for the ice maker to operate. Is there any water in the mold, now?
Fokkersauras  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, March 3, 2010 12:41:14 PM(UTC)
Fokkersauras

Please try not to distract me with acold beer...my work day isn't over yet. First the freezer must be cold enough for the ice maker to operate. Is there any water in the mold, now?

No, there's no ice or water in the tray.
Fokkesauras
magician59  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, March 3, 2010 12:47:10 PM(UTC)
magician59

Remove the face cover from the icemaker (it should just pop off). You'll see some test ports, each marked with a different letter. Set your meter for the 200VAC range and place one of the probes in the hole marked "L", and the other into the one marked "N". You need to read 120VAC. If you don't, the icemaker isn't getting voltage to it.
Fokkersauras  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, March 3, 2010 4:44:42 PM(UTC)
Fokkersauras

Remove the face cover from the icemaker (it should just pop off). You'll see some test ports, each marked with a different letter. Set your meter for the 200VAC range and place one of the probes in the hole marked "L", and the other into the one marked "N". You need to read 120VAC. If you don't, the icemaker isn't getting voltage to it.

I am sorry, I cannot find any test terminals on the ice maker. I pulled the cover sideways then off and do not see any marking N or L. The only thing that I can see with the cover off is a cog drive wheel on the left side of the unit up against the left exterior wall of the freezer compartment. It appears that I will have to take out two screws that appear to hold the unit to the back wall so that I can get at the test terminals. If I do not get voltage or low voltage what is my next step? Thank for your patience. I did defrost the freezer side to see if that had any affect, but no change.
magician59  
#8 Posted : Thursday, March 4, 2010 8:16:21 AM(UTC)
magician59

Sorry: I thought your IM faced outward. The test ports are on the face where you see the cog. If you don't read voltage at the IM, you will need to determine where the breakdown is. You can start at the connector right into the IM. It will have four or five wires into it. You'll want to see if there's voltage across the black and the white. You may have to close the door switch while doing these checks.
Fokkersauras  
#9 Posted : Saturday, March 6, 2010 4:51:30 PM(UTC)
Fokkersauras

Sorry: I thought your IM faced outward. The test ports are on the face where you see the cog. If you don't read voltage at the IM, you will need to determine where the breakdown is. You can start at the connector right into the IM. It will have four or five wires into it. You'll want to see if there's voltage across the black and the white. You may have to close the door switch while doing these checks.

Sorry have to leave town to work will get back on this and back to you next week.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply