Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Philjaydee  
#1 Posted : Saturday, February 27, 2010 7:09:17 PM(UTC)
Philjaydee

Groups: Registered

My old frost free fridge was recently serviced - refrigerant topped up. The frige is working OK now, however, the line leading from the evaporator coil back to the compressor is frosting up right to the compressor. When the compressor cycles off, the frost melts, and I end up with a puddle of water on the floor.

Is there too much refrigerant in the system? Can I release some? There is a Schrader? valve that the technician used to release some at the time of service. If I can, how much is enough?
Thanks
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

applianceman  
#2 Posted : Sunday, February 28, 2010 6:23:27 PM(UTC)
applianceman

Yes there may be too much gas in the system. The best (only way in my book) to charge a system is the recover all the gas out of the system the weigh the correct amount gas in. There will be a tag on the refrigerator that will tell you how many ounces to put into the system.

Often techs (not excluding myself) will misdiagnose this problem. They think it is low on gas when really it is a restricted capillary tube. A restricted capillary tube will cause the dryer to freeze as you describe and more gas may make this worse. I have a feeling that is what happened, your capillary tube is clogged and it was misdiagnosed as being low on gas or when the repair was being made moisture contaminated the system, which could have caused the capillary tube to clog.

In any case this is not a do-it-yourself job you need to get the service tech back out to see what is going on.

Refrigerator repair guide
Philjaydee  
#3 Posted : Monday, March 1, 2010 12:03:36 AM(UTC)
Philjaydee

Thank you for the prompt reply. Will do as suggested.
jdh022764  
#4 Posted : Monday, July 14, 2014 8:06:20 PM(UTC)
jdh022764

how can I possibly fix a restricted capillary tube , please help me with this because I thought the same thing with my refrigerator, can I send someone a email in here? I cant find how to do it anywhere on this site, I wanted to send applianceman a email thru this site.
richappy  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, July 15, 2014 8:09:28 AM(UTC)
richappy

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
You have no cap tube clog if evaporator is cold. Take the cap off the valve and push in the pin to release some gas. I assume this is a blend refrigerant, they do not sell R12.
When done, measure the freezer temperature, should be below zero, if not, you have a damaged compressor, probably from contaminated refrigerant or non-compressable damage.
jdh022764  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, July 15, 2014 5:29:39 PM(UTC)
jdh022764

ill sum up what started this, the icemaker stopped working properly so I check both sets of water solenoids and everthing seemed ok, then I realized the freezer temp was only 20 to 25 degrees and the compressor would only stop for the heating element cycle then the freezer warmed up more, I decided to add some r134a with a subco adaptor then the return line from the evap to the compressor froze up, then I read appliance mans response and I thought he got it right , with a restricted not a block cap tube or possibly a drier restriction, thank you for your response I would love to read more from you about this.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply