Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Shady  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, April 23, 2008 6:21:11 AM(UTC)
Shady

Groups: Registered

Two things happened almost simultaneously: water dispenser stopped working and refrigerator would only cool to 45F in both compartments. Not so worried about the water dispenser solenoid (moving fridge downstairs now for soda and beer storage). But not cooling is a major problem, obviously.

Noticed that the evaporator fan was not running. Coils do frost (starting from bottom first, then up), and defrost heater comes on every ~8 hr. Tested J2-3 to J2-4 and J2-3 to J2-8 on control board, and they read ~14 VDC w/ evaporator fan unplugged but refrigerator on. So I thought the board survived, even though two parts failed simultaneously, which was odd.

Replaced evaporator fan and thermistor assembly. Fan still does not run. Now the J2-3 to J2-4 reads 0.5 VDC while J2-3 to J2-8 reads ~14 VDC (evaporator fan plugged in).

Compressor fan runs fine (assume J2-3 to J2-5 and J2-3 to J2-8 is what runs it; both read ~14 VDC).

Any thoughts? Should the fan turn on immediately upon turning refrigerator on (compressor running)? Or does it wait until the coils reach a certain temp before circulating the air?

I haven't checked the voltage at the harness assembly in the freezer. Can I check that even though the thermistor is also unplugged when I removed the harness?

Should I disconnect the water solenoid?

And how does the thermistor factor in? When warm, it reads ~5 Ohms, when plunged into ice water it reads ~12 ohms or greater. Does it route power to the fan when cold?
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

tari  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, June 3, 2008 8:56:06 AM(UTC)
tari

I'm sorry I don't have an answer for you, but it appears you could answer mine. How do you remove the fan from the little pin in order to replace the fan?
abadfish66  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, June 3, 2008 8:59:08 AM(UTC)
abadfish66

Groups: Senior Expert

I have the answer, but 1st I will need the whole model# and serial# I will tell you what it is if you can provide those to me
tari  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, June 3, 2008 9:09:10 AM(UTC)
tari

Thank you. There are 2 stickers inside the frig. The 2 stickers have 2 different model numbers, for a total of 4 numbers. They are:
TFX20JAX, TFX20SAX
TFT20JAX, TFT20SAX
The only other numbers listed are 796kWh and Part no. 162D8990P001.
Honest, there is nothing that says serial no. on either sticker and there are no other stickers in the frig. or freezer.
Hope that is enough and thanks for trying to help.
tari  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, June 3, 2008 9:10:53 AM(UTC)
tari

Forgot to say it is a GE side by side 19.7 cu if that helps.
abadfish66  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, June 3, 2008 9:15:30 AM(UTC)
abadfish66

Shady, can you get me the Serial# of you fridge
tari  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, June 3, 2008 9:27:51 AM(UTC)
tari

There just isn't one posted. I've searched high and low repeatedly and called an appliance store for help in finding it. There is no number that resembles a serial no. or nothing that says serial no. I wish it was there. I am frustrated.
abadfish66  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, June 3, 2008 9:32:38 AM(UTC)
abadfish66

Tari, don't worry about the serial#, I want it from the previous post from shady. Your model and serial# is gonna either be on the bottom right when you open the freshfood door, or at the very top inside the freshfood section
tari  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, June 3, 2008 9:37:27 AM(UTC)
tari

There is a sticker on the top right inside the frig., but it doesn't say "serial no." anywhere, nor does it give any other numbers other than the ones I already gave you. Sorry. Wish I could be more helpful.
abadfish66  
#10 Posted : Tuesday, June 3, 2008 10:44:20 AM(UTC)
abadfish66

Look at your board, next to the low voltage transformer with yellow tape to the right, and below the heat sink are 2 capacitors next to eachother, are the tops of those 2 caps rounded at the top if so, you have a bad board, and with a serial# I can tell you if the repair will be covered under warranty or not.

Originally Posted by: Shady Go to Quoted Post
Two things happened almost simultaneously: water dispenser stopped working and refrigerator would only cool to 45F in both compartments. Not so worried about the water dispenser solenoid (moving fridge downstairs now for soda and beer storage). But not cooling is a major problem, obviously.

Noticed that the evaporator fan was not running. Coils do frost (starting from bottom first, then up), and defrost heater comes on every ~8 hr. Tested J2-3 to J2-4 and J2-3 to J2-8 on control board, and they read ~14 VDC w/ evaporator fan unplugged but refrigerator on. So I thought the board survived, even though two parts failed simultaneously, which was odd.

Replaced evaporator fan and thermistor assembly. Fan still does not run. Now the J2-3 to J2-4 reads 0.5 VDC while J2-3 to J2-8 reads ~14 VDC (evaporator fan plugged in).

Compressor fan runs fine (assume J2-3 to J2-5 and J2-3 to J2-8 is what runs it; both read ~14 VDC).

Any thoughts? Should the fan turn on immediately upon turning refrigerator on (compressor running)? Or does it wait until the coils reach a certain temp before circulating the air?

I haven't checked the voltage at the harness assembly in the freezer. Can I check that even though the thermistor is also unplugged when I removed the harness?

Should I disconnect the water solenoid?

And how does the thermistor factor in? When warm, it reads ~5 Ohms, when plunged into ice water it reads ~12 ohms or greater. Does it route power to the fan when cold?
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply