Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
kuperrr  
#1 Posted : Monday, April 14, 2008 12:58:13 PM(UTC)
kuperrr

Groups: Registered

6 yr old side by side Maytag. Water puddle on floor w/ freezer & fridge not working. Compressor makes loud buzzing sound 8-10 seconds and stops. This repeats about once every 5 minutes. Compressor is very hot to the touch so I thought it may be in thermal overload protection (recirc) mode.

I shut it off and unplugged it for 3 hours to cool off. Cleaned the coils in the fan basket plugged it back in and everything worked great again.

1 month later. same thing happens again. This time I replaced the starter relay and overload relay on the compressor ($37 for parts) on advice from a friend. Fridge eventually worked again after cooling down.

3 weeks later (today) melted freezer/puddled water on floor again. Tried the cool-down method again but this time the compressor just keeps on cycling with the buzzing sound and getting very hot without cooling the fridge or freezer. I can't afford to lose any more food again. This working OK/ not working again) is very frustrating.

Do you think the compressor is likely going bad?
Fred
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

abbie  
#2 Posted : Monday, April 14, 2008 2:12:47 PM(UTC)
abbie

Groups: Senior Expert

kuperr ....It sure sounds like the compressor is bad. But first did you check the condenser fan to make sure it was working,also with the number of repairs done did you make sure you put the back cover on that,s down by the compressor.This cover is used as a baffle to reflect the air across the compressor. If you get the compressor to start,take an amperage reading. If the reading is more then 10% higher then what on the compressr label,then the compressor needs replacing..
kuperrr  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, April 15, 2008 2:58:59 AM(UTC)
kuperrr

Groups: Registered

Originally Posted by: abbie Go to Quoted Post
kuperr ....It sure sounds like the compressor is bad. But first did you check the condenser fan to make sure it was working,also with the number of repairs done did you make sure you put the back cover on that,s down by the compressor.This cover is used as a baffle to reflect the air across the compressor. If you get the compressor to start,take an amperage reading. If the reading is more then 10% higher then what on the compressr label,then the compressor needs replacing..

Yes, the fan works and the cover was placed back on it after the repairs. The compressor won't kick on at all now. I've ordered a compressor and will have a certified repair person install it since it involves brazing and R134A refrigerant. I'll hope the compressor fixes it (I think it will) Thanks for your excellent, knowledgable reply.
kuperrr
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply