Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
crib_troll  
#1 Posted : Saturday, January 16, 2010 4:49:00 AM(UTC)
crib_troll

Groups: Registered

I'm having a problem with my refrigerator/freezer that I can't quite figure out. I rent an apartment so I'm not exactly sure how old this model is but I don't think it's older than 10 years as it has a Power Saver feature. For the past 2 years that I've lived here I always kept the settings as follows: Refrigerator 1.5 out of 9, 9 being coldest; Freezer A , E being coldest; Power Saver turned on. I've never had a problem before, food stayed frozen in the freezer and cold in the refrigerator. It cycled like it was supposed to and I didn't notice any problems. Now all of a sudden after getting an outrageous electric bill I discovered that my refrigerator/freezer isn't working properly (I think). It is running non-stop around the clock. I checked under it and behind it to see if it was dirty and it doesn't appear to be. I unplugged it from the wall and plugged it back in. There is no frost build-up in the freezer but it is mighty cold. The refrigerator is quite cold too, not so cold as to freeze my milk but pretty cold. I tried changing the Power Saver setting but that didn't seem to help. I turned the temperature setting all the way down to 1 or 0 and that didn't seem to help either, still kept running. It did finally shut off but that was only after I turned the dial to off so I don't think that was much help. I kept the setting on off for now until I can figure out what is going on. Any advice or opinions? Should I bother with this or just have my apartment complex come look at it?
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

denman  
#2 Posted : Saturday, January 16, 2010 11:02:14 AM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Here are your parts
Replacement parts for General Electric TBX18IABKRWW Refrigerator | AppliancePartsPros.com

Sounds like your thermostat is shot, Item 300 in Section 5.

[COLOR="Blue"]Should I bother with this or just have my apartment complex come look at it?[/COLOR]
I would have them repair it. If you try and break something they could end up charging you for a new unit.
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
richappy  
#3 Posted : Sunday, January 17, 2010 1:52:41 AM(UTC)
richappy

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Measure the freezer back wall temperature and post, you might have other problems.
crib_troll  
#4 Posted : Sunday, January 17, 2010 9:03:52 AM(UTC)
crib_troll

Groups: Registered

OK, I left it unplugged for about 6 hours yesterday afternoon and while it was unplugged I pulled it away from the wall and cleaned completely around, behind, and under it. There was actually quite a bit of dust and cat hair built up underneath that I couldn't see without looking closer. I removed about 75% of the buildup on the coils underneath. I plugged it back in and fiddled with the temperature dials putting them on the initial settings (refrigerator 5/9, freezer c/e) and left them that way for about 2 hours. I then slowly turned the settings warmer and it kicked off right about 1.5 like it was at before. Now it seems to be working properly again, I think. It will kick on and run for about 15 minutes and then turn off for about 30-35 minutes. Does this cycle sound typical? Did I fix the problem?
denman  
#5 Posted : Sunday, January 17, 2010 11:31:30 AM(UTC)
denman

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
You may well have fixed it, only time will tell.
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply