Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
onmyown  
#1 Posted : Friday, December 25, 2009 1:17:31 PM(UTC)
onmyown

Groups: Registered

The light bulb exploded one night so we replaced it with a brand new one a couple of times now and it still doesn't work. Is there a fuse somewhere or something I missing?
:confused:
This is getting frustrating! Thanks
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

n4hmrham  
#2 Posted : Friday, December 25, 2009 5:47:47 PM(UTC)
n4hmrham

Groups: Registered

I'm not a refrigeration technician but can offer at least one idea.

You say the original bulb 'exploded'. I assume that the bulb holder is in a protected position, meaning that movement of items near it would not have broken the bulb. If it exploded on it's own, that's a different story.

If you are technically familiar with a regular volt-ohm meter and it's use - and that is an IMPORTANT 'if' - you could remove the new bulb and CAREFULLY measure the center and outside contacts of the bulb socket.

First just look at the socket to make sure you don't see any burned/broken metal anywhere - center contact or outer shell.
The door will be open, obviously, and you should measure 120 Volts AC across those two points due to the door switch contacts being in the 'closed' position, thus connecting power to the socket. My guess is you won't see voltage there since it is unlikely that multiple new bulbs would all be bad.

It is possible that a if/when the bulb filament burned into that some smaller portion of it briefly reconnected and pulled a much higher amount of current than normal - thus causing it to explode. Abnormal but not impossible, I suppose.

At any rate, the internal wiring itself can probably handle a brief surge ok but I'm not so sure about the door switch contacts since the current load of a 75 watt bulb is only a bit more than 1/2 amp (100W is about .83 A).

If you are able to remove the door switch easily enough (sometimes easier said then done), *UNPLUG* the power from the unit and use the ohmmeter to confirm that the switch contacts are still functioning when the switch is operated.

If the switch appears to be good, then it may be time for a service call.:mad:
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply