Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
jeffn  
#1 Posted : Monday, December 21, 2009 4:51:07 AM(UTC)
jeffn

Groups ready for retrieval: Registered

The Turbo button indicator seems to be always 'on'. The indicator light is either bright or slightly less bright when pressed.
We are getting frozen food in the main food section of the fridge. The water dispensor line periodically 'freezes' (I tested its solenoid - at it works).
We had large icicles forming in the freezer section until I turned off the ice maker. The Freezer temp is at minimum and the fridge section just below medium. The fridge might be about 5 years old.

Any suggestions for what to test or try??? I know how to use a multi-meter...
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Gene  
#2 Posted : Monday, December 21, 2009 12:26:10 PM(UTC)
Gene

Groups: Senior Expert, Administrators

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
The first thing I would do is measure the exact temperatures in the freezer and refrigerator. Use a mercury thermometers because they are more accurate. Post the results.

Quote:
...We had large icicles forming in the freezer section until I turned off the ice maker...
If the icicles have began to form above the ice maker, then the problem is a bad water inlet valve. If bellow - it can be a bad (leaking) ice maker as well.

Gene.
P.S. The model number you posted is incorrect or incomplete. Verify and repost it.
jeffn  
#3 Posted : Monday, December 21, 2009 7:01:47 PM(UTC)
jeffn

Groups ready for retrieval: Registered

The model number for the fridge/freezer is GSS25XSRDSS, the serial number is MH439753. The unit was made in the USA and was likely bought in Canada where I live. The icicles in the freezer section seemed to have formed under the ice maker's bin - however this might have been due to the amount of stuff packed into the freezer at the time. I had the freezer setting at 1 (the lowest) and the fridge at 4 (just below default 'mid' setting) when the food in the fridge was freezing. Tonight I adjusted the fridge setting down to 2 and have noted the fridge temperature has gone up to 35 farenheit from about 30 degrees.
Gene  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, December 23, 2009 7:50:47 PM(UTC)
Gene

Groups: Senior Expert, Administrators

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
What is the exact temperature in the freezer?

What is the ambient temperature?

Measure all (2 in the refrigerator & 2 in the freezer) thermistors value according to the attached table. The best way is to put thermistor in a cup with known water temperature.

Post the results.

Here are the breakdown diagrams and Replacement parts for General Electric GSS25XSRDSS Refrigerator | AppliancePartsPros.com

Gene.
File Attachment(s):
Thermistor Values.doc (43kb) downloaded 2 time(s).
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply