Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
doctaj  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, March 18, 2008 8:40:59 AM(UTC)
doctaj

Groups: Registered

Just thought I would try you all out to see if anyone has had any similar problems. I have a Kenmore refrigerator with the freezer on the bottom. I don't know how old it is b/c I got it when I bought my place 4 years ago. It looked fairly new. Anyway, the top fridge is cold but my freezer won't get cold enough. I noticed it last night when my game meat was thawed. I put my turkey thermometer in the box to see what temp it was. On the highest setting (7), I could only get the temp 30 degrees F. This morning when I got up it was 50 F but after playing with the temp control got it back down to 30. When I took the back panel off the box, didn't notice any ice build up. There was frost on the defrost thermostat and down the line that enters the coils. I was hoping this might be a thermostat problem. I would call a repair service but I'm a grad student and money is tight. Am I in for it? Thanks for all your help and time.
doctaj attached the following image(s):
Picture 002.jpg
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

doctaj  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, March 18, 2008 10:30:30 AM(UTC)
doctaj

I really don't know anything about refrigerators, I broke the cold control getting it out and now my upper portion isn't cooling at all. So apparently, whatever cooling I was getting from the freezer was cooling the upper portion and now I have nothing. Any suggestions now? I have a new cold control on the way but I don't think that it is the problem now.
Gene  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, March 19, 2008 9:36:31 AM(UTC)
Gene

Groups: Senior Expert, Administrators

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
If the compressor was running but there was no frost on the evaporator coil then the problem, most likely, is not enough refrigerant in the sealed (cooling) system.

The sealed system has to be checked for a leak, then the leak has to be fixed and the system has to be recharged. This job has to be done by a certified tech and will cost you at least $200.

Gene.
doctaj  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, March 19, 2008 10:16:04 AM(UTC)
doctaj

thanks for the reply Gene. According to a picture I saw and what my problem looked like, I was thinking a freon leak. I remedied this problem yesturday evening by buying a new fridge. The fridge I had looked brand new but apparently was over 10 years old. =) Thanks so much for the help.
waldox  
#5 Posted : Thursday, August 14, 2008 9:25:43 PM(UTC)
waldox

just called in a sears technician 150 dollar bill that was an easy fix. he says my bottom freezer kenmore fridge with warm fridge problem was due to the pathway being blocked by ice and garbage which is common with these fridges. he took off cover from the fridge bottom and poured boiling water down to the freezer. try that before you replace any parts or call in a tech. next time im getting a top freezer because the blower is on the top not in the middle with the bottom freezers and thus more problem prone.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply