Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

4 Pages<1234>
New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
abadfish66  
#11 Posted : Saturday, August 9, 2008 8:05:07 AM(UTC)
abadfish66

Groups: Senior Expert

The tank is behind your crisper drawer, look for discoloration at the tank.
GDan  
#12 Posted : Saturday, August 9, 2008 8:51:21 AM(UTC)
GDan

Groups: Registered

Okay, I found the water tank and it does not seem to be discolored. Also does not feel cold enough to have frozen. The dribble of water that comes out of the door dispenser also does not feel cold enough to be near freezing.
abadfish66  
#13 Posted : Saturday, August 9, 2008 9:13:30 AM(UTC)
abadfish66

okay, next thing you want to do is inspect the water valve, pull the refer away from the wall, take off the lower access panel and visually inspect the valve for any signs of water leaking, cracked or kinked lines.
GDan  
#14 Posted : Saturday, August 9, 2008 12:26:53 PM(UTC)
GDan

Before taking the back panel off, I decided once again to remove the water filter and adapter and replace it with the bypass plug. I did so and the water flows perfectly. Its cool and the flow is strong, just isn't filtered. I can still remove the back panel and check for leaks, etc but I don't see how that can be the problem if everything works so well when I bypass the filter.????
abadfish66  
#15 Posted : Saturday, August 9, 2008 12:30:13 PM(UTC)
abadfish66

If it all is good with the bypass plug in, then I would have to say that the adapter you have may be bad, look closely at it and see if there is anything in it... That has to be your problem...
GDan  
#16 Posted : Sunday, August 10, 2008 10:36:04 AM(UTC)
GDan

Okay I checked out the adapter and it looks o.k. unless there is something in there that I can't see. Since they are only a few dollars, perhaps I will get a new one just to make sure.
The only other thing I can think of has to do with the filter itselt. The old filter was a GE GWF and where ever you go to get a new one, they say it has been replaced by the GE MWF and so that is what I have tried - but of course that is the one that I can't get to work right. I note only that the new GE MWF is about an inch shorter - otherwise it fits just like the old one. Do you think the new filters, ie. the GE MWF, is a bad choice. Since both Lowe's and Home Depot no longer carry the old GE GWF, perhaps I should look for one on-line. ????
Thanks for all your help on this perplexing problem.
abadfish66  
#17 Posted : Sunday, August 10, 2008 11:21:18 AM(UTC)
abadfish66

You wont find that old filter anywhere. that filter was made by culligan and when ge and culligan went their seperate ways, ge manufactured it's own brand, the mwf filter, which is the only one you will find. I have been putting those filter in for years with no problems.
troyewins  
#18 Posted : Saturday, August 23, 2008 12:59:25 PM(UTC)
troyewins

I'm having a similar issue. The light came on about a month ago to replace the filter. I first purchsased a Brita filter because the GWF filter was no longer available. It worked OK for a few days, but then the water started coming out very slow. Tried another Brita filter, same issue. Bought the GE MWF filter. Worked OK for a few days, then it stared having the same problem. I put in the plug and it's the same issue, so I'm guessing it's not a filter issue? The water will start out strong for about 1/2 a second, then slow to a trickle. I've checked the water valve under the sink, the line to the refrigerator is OK and the tank behind the crisper looks fine. I'm at a loss...
libertyappl  
#19 Posted : Saturday, August 23, 2008 6:25:48 PM(UTC)
libertyappl

Going to throw my 2 cents in....like adfish I've not had any problems with these new GE filters, but it's very possible that they had some bad batches! If you want filtered water but the one in the refrigerator isn't working then you might look into a whole house filter, they aren't that expensive and you can buy cheap filters or ones that filter about everything.
Naty
Memorie Munson  
#20 Posted : Sunday, August 24, 2008 5:22:53 PM(UTC)
Memorie Munson

Same problem, but we can't even find the filter! Where is it? Our refrigerator is 11 years old, a Kenmore side by side. The water first slowed and then stopped dispensing altogether.

Memorie Munson--Williamsburg
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply