Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
jeffn  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, December 8, 2009 7:03:10 PM(UTC)
jeffn

Groups: Registered

My side by side GE fridge-freezer has had a number of problems in the last 3-4 weeks as follows:

1) The water dispenser works intermitently.

2) Twice I have had to remove about a litre of frozen ice that 'flowed' down the walls and into the food, starting somewhere up near the top of the freezer section where the ice maker is.

3) The fridge section has had frozen vegetables at least twice since this problem began about a month ago.

A week ago, I turned off the ice maker and I turned down the freezer setting to minimum and the fridge has been set at mid setting . The water dispenser continued to work intermittently and the fridge section froze some vegetables in the last day or so.

Since the ice cube maker was off there hasn't been any icicles in the freezer, but the residual ice in the ice holder has alternated between frozen and thawed (twice each so far).

My side by side (fridge freezer) is a few years old - perhaps five (it came with the house we bought a year ago).

Can anyone suggest a single problem that might explain all these symptoms?
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Qtip  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, December 9, 2009 6:18:10 PM(UTC)
Qtip

There are 2 separate problems - the major problem which causes the ice and intermittent water dispenser is a bad water valve. replace that and those problems will go away but the frozen veggies is seperate. you will have to play with the temp settings until the veggies dont freeze anymore thats the only advice i have for that
jeffn  
#3 Posted : Thursday, December 17, 2009 6:11:36 PM(UTC)
jeffn

There is no problem with the water valve. I disconnected the output from the valve to the water dispenser, and the valve works. Glad I didn't buy a replacement valve first...

The water isn't getting to the dispenser in the freezer door which suggests the line is frozen. THis is consistent with other posts.

Given the fridge section is periodically freezing the food even though it is set at a moderate setting, would suggest another problem. I am assuming the temperature control possibly including a vent from freezer to fridge section is the cause for all problems noted. Now to find a reference to someone who has repaired or diagnosed that problem...
Qtip  
#4 Posted : Friday, December 18, 2009 8:11:49 PM(UTC)
Qtip

2) Twice I have had to remove about a litre of frozen ice that 'flowed' down the walls and into the food, starting somewhere up near the top of the freezer section where the ice maker is.FYI - The only part that can possibly cause a litre of frozen ice to flow down the back wall starting near the icemaker is a water valve that has failed to close when it was supposed to.
jeffn  
#5 Posted : Monday, December 21, 2009 4:40:35 AM(UTC)
jeffn

Yes you are right, the water valve for the ice maker could be sticking. I didn't test it. Right now the ice dispensor is turned off and there is no ice forming in the freezer section. We are still getting frozen food in the main food section of the fridge. I noticed two days ago that the Turbo button indicator seems to be always 'on'. The indicator light is either bright or slightly less bright when pressed.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply