Discuss

Ge Side by side

in

Refrigerator & Freezer Repair

. "

I have looked at the posts. Mine is a little different. My crisper is turning into a freezer which also

..."

Register | FAQ's | New Posts | Today's Posts | Extras
Appliance Repair Forum > Appliance Repair Help > Refrigerator & Freezer Repair » Ge Side by side

Post New Thread  Reply By reading any content on this site you agree to AppliancePartsPros.com, Inc. disclaimer and Terms of Use.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-08-2009, 05:59 AM

Charles Neighbors is on a distinguished road
Default Ge Side by side
Brand: GE   Age: 1 - 5 years   

Appliance Parts from AppliancePartPros.com

I have looked at the posts. Mine is a little different.

My crisper is turning into a freezer which also causes the water line to freeze. Top of the fridge is warmer than the bottom. On the freezer side the bottom is cold but the ice maker is hot, there is water in the unit but it will not freeze. Help

See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Old 12-08-2009, 06:18 PM
Senior Expert
APP Volunteer

Gene has a brilliant futureGene has a brilliant future

What is the complete model number of the refrigerator?

Gene.

Order Appliance Parts with 365-Day Hassle Free Return Policy - AppliancePartsPros.com
Old 12-10-2009, 05:44 AM

Default Ge Refrigerator

Gene,

The Model number is GSL25JFPH BS
Old 12-10-2009, 02:02 PM
Senior Expert
APP Volunteer

Turn the ice maker off or unplug its wire harness and watch the refrigerator for a few hours. Put more attention on the cold air flow through the damper control (#426 on the diagram). Post the results.

Here are the breakdown diagrams and Replacement parts for General Electric GSL25JFPHBS Refrigerator | AppliancePartsPros.com

Gene.

Order Appliance Parts with 365-Day Hassle Free Return Policy - AppliancePartsPros.com
Old 12-10-2009, 03:15 PM

jaxcarlson is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Neighbors View Post
I have looked at the posts. Mine is a little different.

My crisper is turning into a freezer which also causes the water line to freeze. Top of the fridge is warmer than the bottom. On the freezer side the bottom is cold but the ice maker is hot, there is water in the unit but it will not freeze. Help
I am having pretty much the same issue as Charles. My bins in the fridge side are freezing, and the freezer is not freezing on the top part. I took the plate out in the back of the freezer and saw the coils are frozen over in the middle third, but not so much frozen over in the top and bottom thirds. I have a GE side by side, model GSS25TSRE. Any tips would be appreciated, and I will unplus the icemaker assembly like you suggest and look at the damper control.
Old 12-10-2009, 04:17 PM
Senior Expert
APP Volunteer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxcarlson View Post
I am having pretty much the same issue as Charles. My bins in the fridge side are freezing, and the freezer is not freezing on the top part. I took the plate out in the back of the freezer and saw the coils are frozen over in the middle third, but not so much frozen over in the top and bottom thirds. I have a GE side by side, model GSS25TSRE. Any tips would be appreciated, and I will unplus the icemaker assembly like you suggest and look at the damper control.
You refrigerator has a different design compared to the one owned by Charles. The problem you described has nothing to do with the ice maker because yours is not hot. Watch the damper control and post the results.

Here are the breakdown diagrams and Replacement parts for General Electric GSS25TSRESS Refrigerator | AppliancePartsPros.com

Gene.

Old 12-10-2009, 04:45 PM

jaxcarlson is on a distinguished road

After doing some searching it appears it may be the thermistor or the thermostat. Is there a way to check the thermistors, or should I replace them since they are relatively cheap anyway (compared to a service call)?
Old 12-10-2009, 04:50 PM
Senior Expert
APP Volunteer

The best way is to diagnose exact problem and then fix it. Guessing is not the way I'd like.

So far the problem with your refrigerator can be a bad damper control or a faulty defrost system.

Gene.

Old 12-14-2009, 06:19 AM

Unhappy

Gene,

I checked the Fridge several times this weekend, with the ice maker off.

When the Fridge door is closed (holding the button) the Damper stays open all the time. When the fridge is open it closes. When I left the damper unpluged the water despenser works after is thaws out. Tried plugging in the damper and turning on the power to the ice maker, still no ice and the water line froze back up.
Old 12-14-2009, 06:20 AM

Gene,

P.S. the air flow going from the damper to the Frezzer did not seem to fast.

See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.