Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
mtc2912  
#1 Posted : Sunday, December 6, 2009 11:13:19 AM(UTC)
mtc2912

Groups: Registered

took the motor out and tested it and ran fine. getting power to the hot terminal but doesn't seem to be completing circuit through neutral. I disconnected the brown wires from the neutral terminal and jumped the terminal directly to the ground. now everything works fine but not sure what the problem is. the brown wires connected to the neutral terminal appear to have a voltage of around 15v, so not sure what they accomplish or where they come from. do i need to replace the motor or is it something else?

Thanks!
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

denman  
#2 Posted : Monday, December 7, 2009 1:52:11 AM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Your unit is a Frigidaire, unfortunately I cannot cross match the Kenmore number, so do not know what it's true Model Number is.
Here is a service manual.
Note that it is not a match to your unit but should help you see how they do things.
http://frigidaireservicetips.co...318606_Line_5_SxS_SM.pdf

I disconnected the brown wires from the neutral terminal and jumped the terminal directly to the ground.
Using earth ground for testing is OK but I would not leave it like this, best to get it connected properly to Neutral

the brown wires connected to the neutral terminal appear to have a voltage of around 15v, so not sure what they accomplish or where they come from. do i need to replace the motor or is it something else?
The motor seems to be OK.
I would say that the Neutral wire from the defrost timer to the fan has an open somewhere.
Check the wiring to see if you can find it. Likely locations are at the plugs/connectors. Run your fingers along the wire to see if there is a slightly depressed area sometimes this is a break also check any sharp turns.
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
mtc2912  
#3 Posted : Monday, December 7, 2009 6:12:08 AM(UTC)
mtc2912

Groups: Registered

Originally Posted by: denman Go to Quoted Post
Your unit is a Frigidaire, unfortunately I cannot cross match the Kenmore number, so do not know what it's true Model Number is.
Here is a service manual.
Note that it is not a match to your unit but should help you see how they do things.
http://frigidaireservicetips.co...318606_Line_5_SxS_SM.pdf

I disconnected the brown wires from the neutral terminal and jumped the terminal directly to the ground.
Using earth ground for testing is OK but I would not leave it like this, best to get it connected properly to Neutral
yeah, i will-thanks- just trying to keep the groceries cold in meantime

the brown wires connected to the neutral terminal appear to have a voltage of around 15v, so not sure what they accomplish or where they come from. do i need to replace the motor or is it something else?
The motor seems to be OK.
I would say that the Neutral wire from the defrost timer to the fan has an open somewhere.
Check the wiring to see if you can find it. Likely locations are at the plugs/connectors. Run your fingers along the wire to see if there is a slightly depressed area sometimes this is a break also check any sharp turns.

will do - thanks for the quick reply!
denman  
#4 Posted : Monday, December 7, 2009 6:25:24 AM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
You are welcome.
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply