Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
bkmmd  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, December 1, 2009 11:16:55 AM(UTC)
bkmmd

Groups: Registered

Hi,

I have a GE Profile Arctica top freezer-style stainless steel refrigerator that I purchased through Sears for nearly $2,000. Within a month of purchase, the fan in the freezer would ice up and make very loud noises, enough to wake us up at night. It took about three months for the service group to fix the fan noise problem.The service group eventually replaced the controller board with a specially modified board, saying that the refrigerator was not designed to work in Hawaii's climate of moderate temperatures from 65F to 95F and humidity from 50% to 90%. The service group specifically said that the humidity in Hawaii was too high for the refrigerator. Since replacing the controller board, the fan has not made any noise. However, two other problems have occurred, which seemed minor, but I am finding annoying, considering how much I paid for this refrigerator. And the refrigerator is no longer under warranty.

Problem number one: Freezer door pops open when closing the refrigerator door. Ever since the initial repairs, I've had to duct tape the freezer door shut to keep it from popping open whenever I close the refrigerator door. Without the duct tape, whenever my children would shut the refrigerator door, the freezer door would pop open, remain ajar, and all the contents would defrost. Is there a way to keep the freezer door shut without duct tape? (seems like a candidate for a late night comedy show skit)

Problem number two: The freezer does not keep frozen foods frozen. I've noticed that ice cream would turn grainy after a week. I thought the problem was due to the freezer door opening and the contents defrosting. But the problem continued after I started to duct tape the freezer door shut. I placed a freezer thermometer in the freezer. Most of the time, the freezer is at -5 degrees F. However, several times over the past week, I've noted the freezer at 45 degrees F, and a one cup bowl of ice placed in the freezer had melted completely. And this was with the freezer duct-taped shut for over 8 hours, and the refrigerator section at 35 degrees F.

How can I get the freezer to work? Or is this just a POC, which has never worked, and never will?

Thanks in advance for your help.

-- Brian
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.