Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
teknc  
#1 Posted : Monday, November 30, 2009 5:36:03 AM(UTC)
teknc

Groups: Registered

I recently had a company come in to repair my fridge. Neither the fridge nor freezer side was working. The defrost area was frozen solid. The guy defrosted the block of ice and supposedly replaced the defrost element and defrost thermostat.

Since the repair, we have had a build-up of frost, icicles and melting/refreezing ice cubes turning into a block of ice. Also, the crusher moter won't turn and I think it's frozen bcause I can't turn it manually, but can hear it buzz if I ask for cubes.

When the freezer runs for a while, the temp goes down to -10. Obviously, it must be going up at some point in order for the thaw/refreeze to occur.

Could the tech have replaced the element or thermostsat with the wrong parts? Would that cause this symptom? Seems to me that the defrost cycle is just running too long. Is it possible that the guy damaged some other part while he was repairing the stat/element?

I would rather replace any parts that might cause the issue in one shot since I don't have the patience to keep fooling around with this unit that has always been a pain.

I hate this fridge and will probably never buy another GE because of it. In the six years we've had it we have repaired it, by myslef, or thechnician 4 times so far! :mad:
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.