Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Peaceinusa  
#1 Posted : Saturday, November 28, 2009 4:44:41 PM(UTC)
Peaceinusa

Groups: Registered

I have a whirlpool ed22tq side by side. This morning I noticed that the ice was starting to look thawed in the ice container. After leaving for the day, I returned home to find that all the items in the freezer were an ambient temp and everything in the fridge side was cool, not cold.

I did some research and pulled the back cover off the rear of the fridge and cleaned it out. While it was still plugged in, I noticed that the compressor was pretty hot, the fan was running okay and there was an occasional "click" coming from the wiring attachment on the side of the compressor (what appears to be the Overload or Relay)
Please advise as to what you think the problem is, what parts I would need or if I should just call an authorized repair man. I am good with replacing parts on and hardware savvy. I have already replaced the Icemaker and Water Dispenser Water Inlet Valve and I cannot afford a new appliance.

Thanks in advance!
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

richappy  
#2 Posted : Sunday, November 29, 2009 2:57:39 AM(UTC)
richappy

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
I would call this appliance parts site and order a new compressor start device. This site shows no part # for so make sure you get the factory part which should be identical to the old one. This pluggs into the side of the compressor behind the cover.
Peaceinusa  
#3 Posted : Sunday, November 29, 2009 6:10:48 AM(UTC)
Peaceinusa

I pulled the OverLoad and Relay-Starter components off the compressor and the Relay-Starter sounds like it is full of grains of sand when I shake it and bits of metal are falling out of it.

Obviously this thing is burned up and cooked on the inside. I will be finding a local parts supplier tomorrow for the parts, hopefully this is the only problem.

While looking around on the Internet, I found that some have used a Universal 3n1 hard start kit. I am apprehensive about trying this as it can apparently put extra strain on the compressor, am I correct in this assumption?

Thank you Richappy for the reply!
richappy  
#4 Posted : Monday, November 30, 2009 12:43:41 AM(UTC)
richappy

NEVER use a 3n1 start device. The newer compresors will fail using this device and if there is an adaptive defrost computer it will blow that out also. They can only be used on the older 1/4 to 1/2 HP compressors. They work fine till the line voltage puts out power surges and the inrush rms current burns out the windings.
marquiel1  
#5 Posted : Thursday, December 3, 2009 4:24:22 PM(UTC)
marquiel1

I recently have notice that my fridge stop working I took it apart the back panel and notice that the little box attach to the compressor it was bad I try tto put a 3in 1 but realized that it was not good also i cut some wires and now that I bougth the rigth part I dont know how to put it together any one that can help me.
richappy  
#6 Posted : Friday, December 4, 2009 1:03:32 AM(UTC)
richappy

Buy the original start device as shown in the parts breakdown on this site, just plug it in and attach the wires to the new one.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply