Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
rgoltsch  
#1 Posted : Thursday, November 26, 2009 7:51:23 PM(UTC)
rgoltsch

Groups: Registered

I have a GE Artica Side by Side Fridge that we purchased in 2005. It is our second unit, as the first one didn't seem to want to keep the fresh food side cold enough. We got a second fridge replaced under warranty when the FF side would get up to 50 F, even at the coolest settings. They had multiple guys come out to check things out, replaced boards, sensors, and dampers. Finally they gave up and gave us a new one at the beginning of 2006.

The new one works ok. Not great. I judge my firdge's ability to maintain temp by the temperature of my milk. I like it cold just to the point BEFORE ice crystals form. My old circa early 1990's fridge could reach that temp and lower with no problem. This new one never gets that cold. Some days, my milk is about the same temp as what you could expect at the local grocery store. Cold enough to not spoil, but not cold enough for me.

I figured it was just that the new energy efficient units don't allow the temps to get that low. Maybe they figure no one likes their drinks that cold? Is it supposed to be possible to set a new fridge cold enough to feeze liquids on the fresh food side?

What is weird, is that occasionally I go and get myself a glass of milk and I get a nice, ice cold glass of milk. It will be like that for a few days and then we are back to the warmer stuff. Not warm, just not cold enough for me.

I tried to see a pattern. I started keeping an extra 12 pack of pepsi cans in the bottom of the fridge, since one time it was cold, I noticed the fridge was loaded with cans in advance of a party. Maybe the cans got cold and made my milk cold....that was my thinking.

After reading through hundreds of posts in the freezer cold, fridge warm sticky post, I noticed something I never noticed before. It seems that there might or might not be a return between the freezer and fresh food sections. Am I correct in this assumption? Going further, I went into my fridge this evening and checked. I found a round grill on the fresh food side about 2/3rds down the left side. There is a similar grill on the right side of the freezer section, but offset front to rear to that on the fresh food side. Could this by my return?

Here's why I think I may have struck gold......my milk was not as cold as I like it today. I also found a few bags of frozen food up agaisnt that grill in the freezer. Maybe on the cold days, one of us amy have moved things away from that grill in the freezer. On the warm milk days, it is blocked.

What I am thinking is that if the damper opens and allows cold air to be blown in to the fresh food section, there has to be some return to allow the pressures to balance. If that return is blocked by bags of frozen ravioli and peas, the airflow into my fresh food section would be reduced, and the temp would not be as cold as I want.

I moved the stuff blocking that freezer side grill. I will check my milk tomorrow morning to see if my theory is correct.

Does this sound plausible to anyone here?

By the way, thanks for a great site. I learned a lot just by reading all the posts here. I never even would have thought to check for an airflow return.

Ron
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Qtip  
#2 Posted : Friday, November 27, 2009 7:26:22 PM(UTC)
Qtip

That could very possibly be where your problem lies. there is usually two vents that go from the freezer to the fridge. there is a fan in the freezer section that pushes the cool air into the fridge through those two vents. another possible scenario is if there is ice built up in one or both of the vents (usually a good indication of a defrost problem) but considering your having an intermittent problem you are probably right in thinking something is blocking one or both vents at times.
rgoltsch  
#3 Posted : Saturday, November 28, 2009 12:47:58 PM(UTC)
rgoltsch

Originally Posted by: Qtip Go to Quoted Post
That could very possibly be where your problem lies. there is usually two vents that go from the freezer to the fridge. there is a fan in the freezer section that pushes the cool air into the fridge through those two vents. another possible scenario is if there is ice built up in one or both of the vents (usually a good indication of a defrost problem) but considering your having an intermittent problem you are probably right in thinking something is blocking one or both vents at times.

It's been two days and it is still cold. The milk is nice and cold the way I would expect it. In fact, everything is cooler.

Let me see if it stays this way for a week or two. Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while.

Thanks for the reply.
Qtip  
#4 Posted : Saturday, November 28, 2009 6:20:43 PM(UTC)
Qtip

I'm pretty confident you've fixed the problem but by the way i completely agree with the milk theory - i also like it to the point where its just about to freeze but does not have any ice crystals in it. definitely keep us posted and let us know if the problem comes back
rgoltsch  
#5 Posted : Saturday, December 5, 2009 1:24:27 PM(UTC)
rgoltsch

Originally Posted by: rgoltsch Go to Quoted Post
It's been two days and it is still cold. The milk is nice and cold the way I would expect it. In fact, everything is cooler.

Let me see if it stays this way for a week or two. Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while.

Thanks for the reply.

OK, it's been a full week and everything is colder in the fridge now. I would say this problem has been solved.

I posted this originally for opinions on whether this could be my problem. I have replied to it giving the results so others can see what the final result was. Sites like this are a big help.

I was getting totally frustrated with the operation of this appliance. I had about given up on it and was considering moving it to the basement and buying a new one. I had also given up on GE. We have had good luck with our range, dishwasher and a pair of window air conditioners from GE, it surprised me that I was having an issue with the fridge. It is good to see it was something minor.

You would think there would be something in the manual or the techs would know to check for this issue. Now, I know. And hopefully you do as well :)

Thanks for a great, informative site.

Ron
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply