Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
fastlap  
#1 Posted : Monday, November 23, 2009 6:51:24 PM(UTC)
fastlap

Groups: Registered

I have a kenmore side by side model 45041, 5504. For the last 4 to 5 days I have notice a very distinct smell in both sides of the unit. The smell is something like an electrical brushes or oily smell. I have checked the fan in the freezer and it is working, the coils are not frozen over with ice. The unit is producing cold air. The amount of time the smell has existed seems to rule out refrigerant leak. I am at a lost for what could be wrong or failing. it is an older unit but has worked fine. I replace the defrost timer and defrost heater kit a year or two ago....cheers
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

denman  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, November 24, 2009 3:59:50 AM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
I could find nothing using the given model number. It does seems to be short quite a few digits for a Kenmore unit.

Does sound like a freon leak to me. Does not take much to make a stink as the freezer and fresh food are closed systems, so a small leak can cause a stink for quite some time.

I would do the following:
Check that the compressor is running. It should be warm and you should be able to feel it vibrating.
You said the evaporator coils were not frozen over but did they have any frost on them? If not and the compressor is running either the compressor is toast or you are out of freon.
If they just have frost on part of the coils, usually where the freon enters the coils, then you are low on freon.
If the compressor is cycling (mostly off) and it is not cooling/freezing then it could be the thermostat.
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
fastlap  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, November 24, 2009 6:06:03 AM(UTC)
fastlap

Groups: Registered

Denman

sorry got the model number wrong kenmore 363.9450417.

yes there is frost on the coils, nice layer melts off with the defrost timer. Just not frozen over with ice, as was the case when the defrost heater was out.

close the door and the oily electrical smell comes back quick, it is there but not overpowering, you have to stick your nose in to smell, leave it over night and open the door and it is there, both sides, seems a little stronger on the freezer side.

if it is a leak in the refrig system how long will it keep cooling as it has been 5+ days already. and if it is is there a cheap fix or is it art work.

I will check the compressor, seems like it is running, I can hear the system but this could be the fan.

cheers greatly appreciate your input
denman  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, November 24, 2009 6:53:54 AM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
.close the door and the oily electrical smell comes back quick, it is there but not overpowering, you have to stick your nose in to smell, leave it over night and open the door and it is there, both sides, seems a little stronger on the freezer side.
You could try removing the evaporator cover ant try to find the leak as it sounds like it is in the freezer. I would unplug the evap fan when doing this.
I would pay special attention to any brazed/soldered joints. Who knows maybe something has fallen onto the heating coil and is causing the smell.

if it is a leak in the refrig system how long will it keep cooling as it has been 5+ days already.

I cannot say as it depends on how large a leak it is.

and if it is is there a cheap fix or is it art work.

Sometimes an epoxy patch will stop it but I am told that they do not last very long. In any case if it gets low enough you will need a tech to recharge the system and that is when it gets expensive.
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply