Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
EricNJCPA  
#1 Posted : Sunday, November 22, 2009 8:38:42 AM(UTC)
EricNJCPA

Groups: Registered

I have a top and bottom GE profile refrigerator - model #PTC22SFMARBS (freezer on top). The fridge is about 6 yrs old. The freezer stays cold but the fridge barely stays cool. It runs continously - both the compressor and the fan in the back of the freezer. What I've done so far:
-I cleaned the coils under the fridge and the removeable cardboard like cover.
-I took the bottom panel off the freezer and saw the coil was iced up at night before I went to bed. The next morning the defroster, defrosted the coil and the coil only had slight frost on it (looks normal).
-I check the two holes from the freezer to the fridge and they are clear (no ice, food, etc).
-The next day I got two thermometers put the in fridge and freezer before I went to bed and set the fridge at the highest and the freezer in the middle setting. When I got up the freezer was @ -5 degrees F. The fridge was only at 40 degrees F. Again the key here is it keeps running - both the compressor and the fan in the back of the freezer.
-Other items I notice the freezer setting merely opens or closes the two holes between freezer and fridge. The thermostat is in the fridge but don't know what it controls? (are there other areas that may be clogged not letting enough cold air into the fridge?).

I'm thinking one of three things.
1. The system is low on refrigerant - continously running but it is getting the freezer -5 degrees @ medium setting???
2. There is a clog between the fridge and freezer? I can't find where air comes in except the two holes in the back where the fan is? Does that fan constantly running mean something is wrong?
3. Something is wrong with the thermostat - the fridge is continuely running but does the thermostat control a door that opens and closes that I can't find??

Any help is greatly appreciated. This site has already helped me repair my whirlpool oven. And yes the house is barely six years old.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.