Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
jvh75021  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, November 18, 2009 6:21:35 AM(UTC)
jvh75021

Groups: Registered

I have a Whirlpool fridge with a Matsushita compressor DG51C69RAU6, I failed to get the model number, duh on me.

Last night the start relay clattered and then the compressor overload opened. After the common closed I thought I would hot wire it and bump the start winding to verify if it is the start relay or if the compressor has tightened up since the 12 uF cap checked good.

For reference I will use clock face numbers for the terminals. Resistance from 8 to 4was highest at 12.7 ohms, so 12 o'clock is common. However the other two were extremely close 8 to 12 read 6.4 ohms, and 4 to 12 read 6.3 ohms. I wasn't expecting the run and start windings to be this close. I assume the higher reading would be the start winding (8-12). Also, buzzing out the start relay, pin 12 goes to L1 and pin 4 goes to L2, further implying that pin 8 is the start winding.

However I called the lab assistant (who does a lot of appliance work) at my old HVAC school and he stated that pin 4 should be start. My observations suggest otherwise.

If the compressor is getting tight are hard start kits a worthwhile approach? I assume the thermal will kick out again if it gets too tight. The compressor label on listed LRA, not RLA so not sure what is should read but assume it would be around 2.6A or less.

BTW, no terminals were shorted to case and the start relay did not rattle when removed.

Thanks, jh
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.