Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
lrich002  
#1 Posted : Monday, November 16, 2009 2:56:48 PM(UTC)
lrich002

Groups: Registered

Kitchenaid Built-in model KSSS42MDX00 aprox 10 years old but new compressor installed last year (kitchenaid has 12 year sealed system warranty on this model). Not cooling poperly so I replaced the relay the overload and now the capacitor. All parts were original factory or authorized replacement parts. After replacing the cap the frig ran good for one day making ice both freezer and frig cold so I though problem solved. Next day compressor not on freezer getting warm...warmer....I thought it might be a defrost issue since the compressor was not on at the time. I checked the defrost by turning it till it clicked turned again click made sure the compressor came on and off. The compressor does come on but not cooling. I'm at a loss here....any suggestions?
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

denman  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, November 17, 2009 3:01:59 AM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Here are your parts
Replacement parts for WHIRLPOOL KSSS42MDX00 | AppliancePartsPros.com

Not cooling poperly so I replaced the relay the overload and now the capacitor.
Not sure why you replaced the above. Unless the compressor was not running but further on you say the compressor does run???

After replacing the cap the frig ran good for one day making ice both freezer and frig cold so I though problem solved.
Cannot explain this unless you moved the defrost timer to check things out.

Next day compressor not on freezer getting warm...warmer....I thought it might be a defrost issue since the compressor was not on at the time. I checked the defrost by turning it till it clicked turned again click made sure the compressor came on and off.
How long did you leave it? Defrost is normally 20 to 30 minutes.
Could be the unit is hanging up in a defrost cycle but your last statement below seems to contradict this.
Figure out where defrost starts, set the defrost timer to just before a defrost cycle should occur. Mark a point on the cam and the frame. Let it run and check your marks every 20 minutes or so. If the unit goes into defrost and then does not advance the timer cam, the timer is toast re: it will not come out of defrost on its own.

The compressor does come on but not cooling.
When it is doing this are the evaporator coils clear or heavy frost/ice.
If iced up then it is a defrost problem. The unit is trying to cool down but cannot because the coils are iced up.
If the coils are clear then let it run for a couple hours. Then pull the defrost coil cover off and check the coils. If there is a patchy or just one area on the coils that have frost on them then it could be you are low on freon and have a leak somewhere. If no frost at all and the compressor is running could be the compressor is toast or you are out of freon.

Below is a good site with trouble shooting help
http://www.applianceaid.com/refrigerator.html

Low freon. Check out Item 20. "example picture" at the bottom of the page. Note the first one does not work.
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply