Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
venturen  
#1 Posted : Monday, November 16, 2009 2:42:35 PM(UTC)
venturen

Groups: Registered

oops KBRC36MHS00
My 4 year old kitchen aid bottom freezer is not doing it.
my evaporator coil keeps freezing up. My fridge warms and my freezer is about 8 degrees. I de-icd the evaporator, then works great for a couple of days then freezes up. The bi metal thermostat in the freezer is popped out though it checked out(I think...brain freeze using my volt meter with a setting of DC volts when looking for ohms so I am swearing to nothing, need to double check though I order a new one anyway), but I ran the freeze and watched the defrost cycle with cover off...seemed ok...though it didn't appear to totally defrost a heavily frosted evaporator. I don't have the service manual. Any help, manuals, or suggestions welcomed.
My condenser coils above were dirty and I have somewhat cleaned them off...seems to work better. I also took the cover off the air baffle and have been manually removing it to make sure that isn't the problem. Could it just be a defrost timer not defrosting long enough or is my compressor dying a slow death.

The condenser fan runs and runs.
Thanks
Barry
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

denman  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, November 17, 2009 2:34:14 AM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Here are your parts
Upper unit replacement parts for WHIRLPOOL KBRC36MHS00 | AppliancePartsPros.com

Here is a tech sheet. Note it is for a MHS01 but should be close
http://www.servicematters.com/d...0Sheet%20-%202207484.pdf

my evaporator coil keeps freezing up. I de-icd the evaporator, then works great for a couple of days then freezes up.
This does point to a defrost problem.

The bi metal thermostat in the freezer is popped out

If it is popped out (bulged) replace it. It may check out OK but could be intermittent.

but I ran the freeze and watched the defrost cycle with cover off...seemed ok...though it didn't appear to totally defrost a heavily frosted evaporator.
Did you check both defrost heaters. If not force the unit into a defrost cycle and check both heaters. Be careful that you do not burn your fingers.

Could it just be a defrost timer not defrosting long enough or is my compressor dying a slow death.

No. A defrost timer cannot speed up. The compressor also seems to run OK, it is trying to get the unit down to the correct temperature.

The condenser fan runs and runs.
If it runs during a defrost cycle then you have a different problem or two problems. If it just runs constantly while in cool mode, that would be normal because of the defrost problem the unit cannot cool properly so the compressor and fan run all the time trying to lower the temperature in the unit.

Odds are that the defrost thermostat is your only problem.
You could also have a defrost timer problem re: the timer hangs up during the cool cycle so you do not go into a defrost cycle. Mark a spot on the defrost timer cam and also a lined up spot on the frame. Let it run and check it every couple hours. The cam should do 1 revolution every 8 hours.
If it hangs up (not advancing) anywhere then it needs replacing.
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
venturen  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, November 17, 2009 3:10:15 AM(UTC)
venturen

Groups: Registered

Thank for the reply. The bi metal is on order. The defrost timer seems ok; I had already marked it and have been watching it. Both defrost coil worked. I will defrost and replace the bi metal and hope that my good cleaning of the condenser along with the new bi metal will fix the temperature and fan problems.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply