Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Salisa  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, February 27, 2008 1:29:55 PM(UTC)
Salisa

Groups: Registered

The freezer drips water into the fridge. When this happened last year I defrosted the freezer and let all the built up ice melt then I plugged it back in and it lasted for about a year but this time when I defrosted it it only lasted a few weeks until the drips returned. I checked the water tray under the fridge and it is dry. Can you help???
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

washer  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, February 27, 2008 3:22:52 PM(UTC)
washer

When the freezer defrosts all of the water flows into a tray in the rear of the freezer, behind the sheetmetal, and then is supposed to drain down through a hose into the catch pan at the bottom of the fridge where it evaporates. What is happening is that the water does not completely drain before the freezer defrost cycle ends causing the water to freeze in the catch pan blocking the drain hole. When the freezer again defrosts, the water cannot drain and overflows down into the refridge. This may also be caused by dirt in the catch tray. My repair on two Amanas was to enlarge the drain hole allowing for faster draining. I had to rig a larger adapter to the drain hose to accomodate the larger opening.
Salisa  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, February 27, 2008 5:17:33 PM(UTC)
Salisa

Thanks for the quick response, that sounds like what I am experiencing. Do you know how I would access the drain hole?
washer  
#4 Posted : Thursday, February 28, 2008 5:28:42 AM(UTC)
washer

The best way is to access the freezer coils which are generally behind the sheet metal in the rear of the freezer. That panel once removed will show the coils and the defrost heating elements, which by the way are working since the freezer is obviously defrosting. Locate the water catch tray below the coils and make sure both the tray and the drain hole are clean and clear of any dirt or pieces of insulation. Make sure also that the drain hose is clear all the way down and into the pan under the fridge. If you have found any reason for water obstruction, and have cleared it, reassemble the freezer panels and put the fridge back into use. Install the fridge with a slight tilt toward the rear, just enough that the door swings shut on its own, and with a slight tilt left or right toward the freezer water catch tray drain hole. This should be the end of it. If not the next step would be to enlarge the drain hole in the catch tray and adapt to the drain hose. Good luck.
Salisa  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, June 3, 2008 12:31:59 PM(UTC)
Salisa

Thanks so much for your help. It took me long enough to get around to doing it but it seems to have worked. You saved me an expensive repair bill!!
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply