Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
oldfartsexpress  
#1 Posted : Sunday, May 27, 2018 8:34:46 AM(UTC)
oldfartsexpress

Groups: Registered

My kitchen aid model KFIS29BBMS02 has a warm freezer compartment and a cold (cool) refrigerator area. I put a really crappy temperature gauge into both compartments and they both cooled to around 40 degrees (freezer set to 0 & refrigerator set to 37). So, freezer way off the 0 degree setting and the refrigerator I would say in the ballpark of 37.

Back story is this. I originally was hearing a noise coming from the freezer section. This went on for a few weeks. At first i didn’t think much of it, but then the noise grew louder and after a few days just stopped. Then the freezer starter slowly warming up. Ice packs were frozen but frozen pizza was thawed out. At that point I new something was wrong (I know what took me so long). Anyway with this model hearing a loud noise in freezer usually indicates the evaporator fan going. So I replaced the evaporator motor and put a new fan blade on. Put everything back together and powered back up and could see fan spinning and air blowing from the evaporator fan. I gave myself a high five and thought I was back in business. Well, I wasn’t. Once back on I never got the freezer to get cold enough to freeze. The refrigerator section feels pretty normal (food and drinks feel as cold as they always did).

I have cleaned all the coils underneath (which weren’t very dusty/dirty). The compressor fan is running and looks in good shape. The compressor is running (and running almost nonstop) and is pretty warm/hot to the touch. I have just received a copy of the diagnostic tech sheet from a kind forum user here and have just started to play around with going through the onboard diagnostic tests. If there is a specific test that would be good for me to use - I’m all ears.

BTW I did go back into the freezer area a few days later and double check that I connected all the wire harness back up correctly. I had read a forum user once had pin in the harness that wasn’t seating all the way so it wasn’t making a connection. I double checked all that and I’m pretty certain that connections are all solid.

I didn’t see any ice build up on the evaporator coils when I went back in the second time, but I’ve read that can sometimes take a while to show up. However, I did see a little bit of ice the first time I got into it to make the repair to replace the fan motor. It was not covering the all the coils. Only a small section I the upper right side (less than 15%) which I had to defrost with a blow dryer so that I could unplug the connector that went from the evaporator fan to the right side of the coil heater. I figured all that might be normal since the motor wasn’t working.

Is my compressor going?
Do I have a Freon leak?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.