Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
cmpitt  
#1 Posted : Thursday, November 5, 2009 11:15:05 AM(UTC)
cmpitt

Groups: Registered

Can anyone please tell me what the correct temperture the freezer should be? My freezer seems to be too cold, it shows around -10f. I have also been getting ice build up on the bottom. Once I clean the ice and clear the drain, it happens again in a few weeks. Thanks
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Gene  
#2 Posted : Thursday, November 5, 2009 6:01:52 PM(UTC)
Gene

Groups: Senior Expert, Administrators

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Normal temperature for the freezer is about 0°F and for refrigerator between 36°F to 40°F depends on level. The most accurate thermometer is a mercury.

Gene.
doityourselfer  
#3 Posted : Friday, November 6, 2009 6:28:20 AM(UTC)
doityourselfer

So, what is causing the sub-normal freezing temperature? My freezer is doing the same thing.
cmpitt  
#4 Posted : Friday, November 6, 2009 4:16:05 PM(UTC)
cmpitt

good quetion, i am thinking up to -15 is getting a bit cold.
Gene  
#5 Posted : Saturday, November 7, 2009 12:40:45 PM(UTC)
Gene

doityourselfer and cmpitt,

Try to adjust the temperature controls. Keep in mind that you have to wait about 24 hours to see the result. If it would not help then post the complete model number of the refrigerators and the exact temperatures in both compartments.

Gene.
cmpitt  
#6 Posted : Saturday, November 7, 2009 2:28:55 PM(UTC)
cmpitt

the fridge side is around 39 (set on 37) my thermometer goes to -12f and the freezer is as low as it goes, meaning at least -12f. It is set on 5f. I just replaced the board where you set the temperature thinking that was the problem. (after reading another similar post) They said I can return that with in 30 days on the phone??????
Please help, after a few weeks, ice starts building up big time in freezer bottom. Never had any problems on the fidge side.

I also did the test that checks the thermoster and they both seemed to pass.
JRZ  
#7 Posted : Sunday, November 8, 2009 2:41:33 PM(UTC)
JRZ

Originally Posted by: cmpitt Go to Quoted Post
the fridge side is around 39 (set on 37) my thermometer goes to -12f and the freezer is as low as it goes, meaning at least -12f. It is set on 5f. I just replaced the board where you set the temperature thinking that was the problem. (after reading another similar post) They said I can return that with in 30 days on the phone??????
Please help, after a few weeks, ice starts building up big time in freezer bottom. Never had any problems on the fidge side.

I also did the test that checks the thermoster and they both seemed to pass.

cmpitt, do it yourselfer, Gene -
I have been dealing with the same problem - Kenmore side by side - frost build up - freezer compartment set at 5* measures -24* - ice dam forms in bottom of FC - both thermistors pass front panel test - defrost bi metal is fine - I ordered and received a control board after reading posts but it did not correct the problem - let me know if you have any luck with a return/refund - determined to isolate this problem I have broken out the volt meter and temperture gages and closely monitored the beast - a simple thermistor problem has caused months of freezer frustration - Many post on this problem and now here is the fix ****** A BAD THERMISTOR IN THE FREEZER COMPARTMENT****** ( remember it passes self test and OHMs correctly) There are 2 thermistors one for the freezer compartment "FC" and one for the refridgerator compartment "RC" . You can access both connectors at the top left of the RC - one on the wall under the metel bar and the other is at the air baffle it then passes thru into the freezer.
My dc volt readings accross the FC thermistor woul not read above 1.235 volts - My RC thermistor was working correctly - I swapped them for each other and the problem followed the bad thermostor to the RC - With the good thermistor installed in the FC the compressor is not staying full on freezing to -24 or lower - The freezer compartment thermistor voltage readings are as follows (you can watch the voltage climb to 2.92v and shut the compressor) then as the FC warms up watch it steadily drop until 2.32v and the compressor turns back on. Now all I have to do is wait for A new thermistor to replaced the bad one that I moved to the RC it controls the baffle between the RC and FC.
Gene  
#8 Posted : Sunday, November 8, 2009 4:06:43 PM(UTC)
Gene

Most likely the problem is a bad freezer thermistor, but it has to be tested by its resistance according to the table in the Service manual (page 13). You can find the parts access instructions in the same manual.

- The thermistor Part number: AP3745265
Part number: AP3745265

Gene.
doityourselfer  
#9 Posted : Monday, November 9, 2009 11:41:28 AM(UTC)
doityourselfer

Thanks so much!
cmpitt  
#10 Posted : Monday, November 9, 2009 5:46:56 PM(UTC)
cmpitt

I am going to call tomorrow to see if I can return my 200.00 part that I did not need. I will get the new part and I am hopeful my freezer wil be back to normal. Thanks for the info and I will let you know if I can return the part. They said on the phone I had 30 days. We will see.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply