Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

3 Pages123>
New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
cashmeb  
#1 Posted : Friday, February 22, 2008 4:54:14 PM(UTC)
cashmeb

Groups: Registered

I have a GE side-by-side refrigerator. Twice in the last 2 months we have had the following happen.
1. on the fridge side the light assembly at the top gets extremely hot - too hot to touch and the lights go out.
2. the freezer/fridge cool adjustment controls go dark.
3. the fridge gets warm as it is no longer cooling.
4. after unplugging the fridge for 30 mins or so and then plugging back in, it seems to "fix itself" with the cooler controls lighting back up and the light assembly no longer warm, and the fridge works normally again. Please help!!!
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

misterfixall  
#2 Posted : Friday, February 22, 2008 7:03:35 PM(UTC)
misterfixall

Groups: Senior Expert

check to see if light is staying on all the time even when door is shut, light should go out when door is shut
cashmeb  
#3 Posted : Sunday, February 24, 2008 7:14:35 AM(UTC)
cashmeb

The light goes off when the door shuts, so that's not it. I think the problem may be with with the power supply in the light assembly - but I am only guessing. I tried to call GE but didn't get anywhere since they have no technical help line...anyone have any other ideas?
pk3piper  
#4 Posted : Sunday, March 11, 2012 10:42:06 PM(UTC)
pk3piper

Did you ever find out what was wrong? My GE Profile is doing the same thing.
Pinktri  
#5 Posted : Monday, May 27, 2013 5:47:40 PM(UTC)
Pinktri

Exact same issues. Light assembly was off but extremely hot to the touch. Temp in the fridge rose to 60 degrees. Power cycled the fridge and light came back on and is cooling down. I believe the light assembly got so hot the lights shut off and the temps in the fridge started to rise. Any ideas? Is it the main board or the light assembly? Thanks!
Pinktri  
#6 Posted : Friday, May 31, 2013 3:58:40 PM(UTC)
Pinktri

Please, does anyone have any ideas? Main board or light assembly? What would cause the light to come on while the door is closed? Switch is functioning and is located inside the door area so sagging door is not possible. Please help
scott5495  
#7 Posted : Friday, May 31, 2013 4:39:05 PM(UTC)
scott5495

open the door and push the light button. does the light go out? try this several times. if the light goes out each time then the switch is good. when you find the light stuck on, does the light go out when you push the switch? if not, you have an intermitent switch. the current flows from the board to the switch, when you open the door the contacts inside the switch close and sends one side of the current to the lights. the other side of current is already there. unlikely the board. it is possible that there is a short and the lights are picking up current eslewhere, very unlikely. there is no transformer on the lights. works just like a lamp. check these things. if still a problem let me know. i have access to g.e. tech assist.
Pinktri  
#8 Posted: : Saturday, June 1, 2013 4:17:30 AM(UTC)
Pinktri

thank you for the response and effort. Yes the switch seems to be working properly. I've pressed it maybe 2 dozen times and I've yet to see it not turn the light off. When I found the fridge in the overheated state, the lights were off (maybe a temp cutoff) but extremely hot to the touch. Removed the plastic cover and the entire housing (metal) was hot hot hot. After unplugging and plugging back in the light came back on and worked as normal.
As for now I've removed the bulbs and no issues since. Good to know it's just a a switch and board with nothing in between. I have no issues changing the board but I hear from other boards it does not resolve the issue. I'd hate to change boards over and over again only for it to happen randomly again.
scott5495  
#9 Posted : Saturday, June 1, 2013 10:07:22 AM(UTC)
scott5495

i will contact g.e. technical assistance on your behalf monday. they may already know about the problem. i did not find a service bulletin on it.
Pinktri  
#10 Posted : Sunday, June 2, 2013 5:16:38 PM(UTC)
Pinktri

Thanks. I really appreciate that.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply