Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Ben2016  
#1 Posted : Sunday, May 7, 2017 5:22:58 PM(UTC)
Ben2016

Groups: Registered

Hello,

I recently moved and had to take the doors off. Unfortunately, the waterline could be be decoupled from the door. After moving it, I accidently severed the water dispenser line near the bottom hinge of the freezer side door (the dispenser line runs along the hinge out to the panel where it dispenses water). I will need to replace the line.

I've taken off the door, and the panel where the water dispenses. It seems like the line is stuck, or need a bit more work to get the line out. I've seen older refrigerators where it possible to take the line out, but haven't not seen one for a more recent refrigerator model. Any suggestions here?

Thanks,

Ben
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

PNWDrew  
#2 Posted : Sunday, May 7, 2017 6:54:08 PM(UTC)
PNWDrew

That's a tough one. If there isn't enough line left sticking out of the door to put a shark tooth connection to a new section of line you're looking at a door replacement to do it right. That line it in there before the foam is blown in so pulling it out and successfully reinserting a new one will be unlikely.
Other more creative ways might be possible. It's the bottom edge so digging it out a little might get you enough to connect to. Or if you can find a flexible line with the same or close ID as the OD of the original you may be able to glue/silicone it as a joint.
Can you shoot a pic of what you have left to work with?
Ben2016  
#3 Posted : Monday, May 8, 2017 8:26:35 PM(UTC)
Ben2016

Hi Drew,

It's a shame that one would replace a door due to a severed line. It appears that I would be able to use the ice maker as it seem to come from another line and plug up the severed line if it becomes too troublesome.

I've attached some pictures of the panel and the severed line. I tried to pull out the line with pliers, but it won't budge. I was thinking a work around would be needed. As you suggested, I need a tube with the same OD and splice it together. Seems like I would have to somehow do a clean cut of the old line (in the hinge). Cut it deep enough so that the extra part doesn't get pinch when mounting the door. Then splice the tubes together inside the hinge. Not sure what parts I would need. If you have a picture of the items I would need that would be appreciated.

An alternative might be to run a smaller tube inside the defective one.

Thanks!
Ben2016 attached the following image(s):
IMG_20170508_203212.jpg
IMG_20170508_203342.jpg
IMG_20170508_203458.jpg
PNWDrew  
#4 Posted : Monday, May 8, 2017 9:47:35 PM(UTC)
PNWDrew

Since that line runs through the hinge it will be challenging to repair. You may find a piece of tubing to slip over or into the end and glue into place, but that's a stressed spot so you'd need to protect it from wear in the hinge. I'd think going outside the original would be better but whatever works. Perhaps an aquarium store would have something appropriate. If you still have the remnant you could just connect the new piece through the hinge and reuse the remnant to keep the sizing right for that sharktooth connection.

Any potable water hose would probably work as long as you can get a good seal and it fits through. Take the remnant to anywhere you can think of that might have some tubing and see what might work I guess. Silicone can seal a small amount of slop in the fitment so getting it perfect isn't necessary as long as it seals. I would not even worry about the quality of the cut end as long as you can get enough of the replacement to slip into the door and you're sure it isn't split farther inside.

It's certainly worth trying. If you can't get it, you can unplug that valve in the back so it cannot release water into the door dispenser tubing. I agree that a $$$ door would suck to buy for such a small thing.
If you google flexible potable water line you'll find many sizes and styles. Measure the OD of what you have and see if you get lucky.
The internet is amazing for this kind of thing. Here's a dizzying array of possibilities you can buy by the foot for cheap, the 3/8" looks promising.
https://flexpvc.com/cart/agora.cgi?product=JG-Polyethylene-Tubing

https://flexpvc.com/cart/agora.cgi?product=Clear-Tubing-Hose-ByTheFoot
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply