Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
sraykens  
#1 Posted : Monday, January 2, 2017 8:25:10 AM(UTC)
sraykens

Groups: Registered

We noticed recently that the freezer isn't quite as cold as it used to be. Here are the bullet points:
- The freezer door was stuck open a crack for a few hours, but it has now been closed almost 48 hours with no return to normal.
- Both fridge and freezer are set to coldest position.
- The freezer freezes (still makes ice in the automatic icemaker), but things like bread aren't frozen solid.
- I put a glass of water in both fridge and freezer; after 3 hours, fridge water was at ~37F (cold enough, but seems to me it should be colder on the coldest setting). The freezer glass wasn't yet frozen solid, but had a solid layer on top and around the glass (you could see water in middle)

Pulled the back panel off, and things aren't crazy dirty. However, the condensor fan is not running. That being said, I'm not sure when it should be running.

Also, the seal to the freezer does have a tear in it, but I don't feel cold near the tear.

One last thing, the enclosure seems hotter than normal. Using an IR thermometer, the black side is ~105F in one spot behind the ice maker, and mostly 70s elsewhere.

So, just replace the seal, or should I be investigating the condensor fan? Or something else?

Thank you!
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.