Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
TheFlyingDave  
#1 Posted : Saturday, November 19, 2016 10:12:28 AM(UTC)
TheFlyingDave

Groups: Registered

This model has the two french doors under which is a full-width drawer for cold cuts and drinks. Under that is the freezer. The light for the freezer is a strip with 3 LEDs under the middle drawer.

This light doesn't turn on. The fridge is pretty new - no more than 2 years old. The door switch in the freezer feels solid. If I touch my fingers to the contacts on the LED board, the LEDs glow dimly so the LEDs appear to be working - I suspect the problem is further upstream. There is no other circuitry on the LED board.

I'm not inclined to just start replacing parts without some hint that I know where the problem is. Any suggestions as to how to diagnose?

UPDATE:
I swapped the freezer LED board for an identical one else where and it works fine, so it's not the LED board. I pulled the freezer door switch and tested it with a voltmeter and it behaved as expected, so it's not the switch.

I'm not sure where to turn next. Are schematics available?
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Guffman  
#2 Posted : Friday, May 15, 2020 4:31:45 AM(UTC)
Guffman

Canada

Hey FlyingDave... did you ever figure out the problem with the freezer light, I have the same style of Samsung fridge (french doors, middle drawer, and freezer below) and my light has gone out as well. Looking for answers / possible solutions. Thanks!
maddog72  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, July 22, 2020 9:21:37 AM(UTC)
maddog72

United States

I found this thread because I also have the same problem. Hopefully this will help anyone else that has the same issue. Check the manualslib.com site for a service manual for your Samsung model. The one I found for my RF28HMEDBBC model has a schematic and pictures of the main logic board which was very helpful.
I removed the board access panel on the rear of the refrigerator in order to perform some of my tests. Take extreme care if you do this. This exposes the 110V power line inputs and can cause electrical shock and danger of death or serious injury.
I verified both the freezer switch (tested continuity on the magnetic reed switch) and the LED board are working. The LED board was removed from the refrigerator and tested with a 12V DC source (voltage per the service manual). For my unit, the CN76 connector has pins 10 and 11 for the FZ Door Switch. The CN78 connector has pins 1 and 2 for the FZ Lamp. All are clearly labeled on the main logic board. Keep in mind other models could have different wiring. I verified that the CN connector pins 1 and 2 were outputting 12V when the freezer door is opened. The problem was with the wiring harness going from CN78 pin 1 to the LED board red wire. If I ran a jumper cable between these two connectors, the LED light would work. I still need to determine exactly where the failure is in the harness and will post back when I know more.
Update @ 2020-07-27: Indeed the DA96-00640A wiring harness had three broken wires. The cable runs along the right rail and must be prone to snagging when the flexzone door is used. It appears to be an issue other users encountered too. I found videos of people repairing the wires here and here. I too repaired the wires and wonder how long it will last before this happens again.

Edited by user Monday, July 27, 2020 7:00:26 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Adding update to my post

#4 Posted : Wednesday, June 30, 2021 5:05:13 PM(UTC)

Groups:
United States

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Same problem here... any solutions out there?
#5 Posted : Sunday, August 21, 2022 4:22:57 AM(UTC)

Groups:
United States

Hi to have the same problem along with the freezer has stopped ice and Samsung cannot find anyone to fix it it has been all summer without ice. This particular refrigerator has had nothing but problems problems problems.These problems started right after we bought it. We just want a new refrigerator
#6 Posted : Saturday, February 25, 2023 4:16:24 PM(UTC)

Groups:
United States

I had the same problem with the freezer light and figured out an easy fix for ours. Our model is RF261BEAESR (french doors, freezer door on the bottom). I read that LED lights last pretty long, so if the bulb is LED (I'm not sure but I assume it is), then it's not likely the bulb. I saw a YouTube video about how to replace the switch, which is a different location in the freezer from where the bulb is. Here's the video:

Replacing the switch looks like a lot of work! We didn't think we needed to replace the switch, because the light has worked intermittently. We had other problems with the drawer sticking very badly. Using a hair dryer and lubricating the rails helped the drawer sticking problem. It turned out that the switch was sticking as well. I used a hair dryer (the space is tight to get to the switch, so I used a small plate to direct the air to the switch). That got it unstuck and the light is working again. This was done without removing the racks or door as shown in the above video, so it was really an easy fix. I may also try adding some lubricant if it sticks again.

Edited by user Saturday, February 25, 2023 4:19:26 PM(UTC)  | Reason: provide additional details

#7 Posted : Sunday, February 11, 2024 9:37:47 AM(UTC)

Groups:
United States

Originally Posted by: Guest Go to Quoted Post
Hi to have the same problem along with the freezer has stopped ice and Samsung cannot find anyone to fix it it has been all summer without ice. This particular refrigerator has had nothing but problems problems problems.These problems started right after we bought it. We just want a new refrigerator

#8 Posted : Sunday, February 11, 2024 9:41:56 AM(UTC)

Groups:
United States

There is/was a class action suit against Samsung because most of the icemakers don’t work. It’s a known design flaw. Samsung MUST replace your ice-maker for FREE! Google it & then call Samsung back & demand that they fix yours.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply