Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
GraceC  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, November 1, 2016 12:11:48 PM(UTC)
GraceC

Groups: Registered

This is the fridge I am talking about https://www.amazon.com/Haier-HRT...rp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8. We have had it since February, 2012 and have had no issues with it until recently, though for the last few years there has been excessive frost build up in the freezer at times and we heard it making some odd noises in September, which seemed to be coming from the freezer. Everything was okay, however, until 2 weeks ago when we suddenly noticed warm drinks..which got warmer. Meanwhile, the freezer got extra icy, but still worked well. Since the refrigerator was not usable, we unplugged the whole thing and cleaned it out.

When we plugged it back in, we hoped it would have gone back to normal, but not so much. The refrigerator part is not as warm as it was, but it is certainly not cold like it used to be. It hovers around 38 to 50 degrees( the average now is around 40-43). The temperature climbs when there is more stuff in the fridge. We don't find this usable and are currently using a mini fridge.

Then there is the freezer. When plugged back in, it did not get icy again, but it also did not freeze stuff properly. While I am an unsure of the exact temperature, food does not stay frozen enough to keep very long and ice cubes are watery. It is not usable in it's current state.

What might be causing this? We thought it might be the evaporator fan, but it runs at times( I'm not not sure how often it should be running). So could it be a component of the evaporator fan? I know they no longer make evaporator fans for this exact model of Haier fridge. A family member called a repair place before we unplugged the fridge and described the issues with fridge at the time- the warm refrigerator and very icy freezer. The repair guy over the phone told her it was likely either the freon or the condenser was failing. He thought it was more likely the condensor because freon issues generally occur in older fridges, but from what we have looked up online, it does not sound like it is that, at all. We also do not think it is the freon, from we have read online. This fridge is only 5 years old, and we have only had it for 4 1/2 years. We got the impression that particular repair guy was trying to sell us a new fridge(the place he works for sells fridges, too, as well as repairs them). We don't want a repair bill if the fridge is indeed not fixable. But we don't want to buy a new fridge when we might not have to. Thanks for any advice or insight as to what might be causing our fridge issue. New fridges are usually over $500 these days, yikes.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.