Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
ColetteP  
#1 Posted : Monday, November 2, 2009 5:45:17 AM(UTC)
ColetteP

Groups: Registered

Just bought a used side-by-side refrigerator, model 106.53082300 Kenmore. Set up 2 days ago, slow to reach 40 degrees F, and everytime I open to remove something, the temp raises to 50 and it takes hours to reach 40 degrees again. Can't get it lower than 40. The freezer and ice maker work fine. No obstructions to flow. I hear the motor run. What concerns me is that the vertical dividing metal panel between the frig and frez is burning hot to touch...even makes the rubber insulating trim on door panel hot. Hot from top to bottom. I am new to this type of frig, so I am not familiar with it and don't know what 'normal' is, but I don't hear a loud fan blowing when I open the door. The outlet flow from frez to frig at the top is blowing in some cool air into frig. The inlet flow from frig to frez, by veggie drawer, is not blocked. Someone told me it was normal for heat while it sets up, but now the rubber is starting to get brown. What can this be?
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

denman  
#2 Posted : Monday, November 2, 2009 6:34:18 AM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Here is a good site with fridge troubleshooting help
http://www.applianceaid.com/refrigerator.html

Check out Item 18.
Dirty condenser coils is the most common cause. Also check that the front lick plate and the rear cover are clean.
Check the fan to be sure it is operating OK and that the fan blades are clean.
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
ColetteP  
#3 Posted : Monday, November 2, 2009 9:09:33 AM(UTC)
ColetteP

Groups: Registered

Thanks Denman for helping. Before I order parts just want to make sure I understand this correctly....The reason for the burning hot front door perimeter is something to do with the condensor fan motor, but will that also be the cause of the temperature being too warm. I just had to throw out milk cause the temp stays at 50. Could the correction of the condensor fan motor correct that. There is hardly any blowing action out the the evaporator fan, maybe that's normal for this model, don't know. Could I have two separate problems? In other words, if I change the condenser fan motor, {or clean it, I just haven't figured how to get the back off yet, so it might be so dirty the blades don't turn} and correct that problem, will that make the internal temp of the frig colder? The freezer seems OK, I do have ice formed and the temp is presently at 20 degrees? Thanks for all the help. I am so glad people help others do-it-themselves.....or should I say "do it with the help of others". Thanks again. COLETTEP
denman  
#4 Posted : Monday, November 2, 2009 10:29:16 AM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
The reason for the burning hot front door perimeter is something to do with the condensor fan motor, but will that also be the cause of the temperature being too warm.
It could, the condenser coils cannot get rid of the heat that the freon has picked up in the freezer.

Could the correction of the condensor fan motor correct that.

It could but I cannot say for sure

There is hardly any blowing action out the the evaporator fan, maybe that's normal for this model, don't know.
Usually the air flow is pretty good, so there may be a problem here,
Remove the evaporator cover and check it and the coils.

Could I have two separate problems?

Always a possibility, with the two of them combining to cause your symptoms

In other words, if I change the condenser fan motor, {or clean it, I just haven't figured how to get the back off yet, so it might be so dirty the blades don't turn} and correct that problem, will that make the internal temp of the frig colder?
It should but I cannot guarantee it.

The freezer seems OK, I do have ice formed and the temp is presently at 20 degrees?
This is too warm, it should be 0 to 5 degrees F.
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply